Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: January 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Big tree across the Custis Trail near Lyon Village right before the S-curve of death. No way to get around other than over.

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Big tree across the Custis Trail near Lyon Village right before the S-curve of death. No way to get around other than over.
    I used my pro cyclocross skills, hopped off, quick hurdle, and was on my way. I wish it was always there--I could use the practice.

4. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Tree is gone, although there is a lot of debris remaining, so it does require a bit of care.

I am glad it is gone since I did not read this before heading out this morning and that would have been a wake up call coming from the S-curve of death. Depending on where it actually lay, the S-curve of death might have been living up to its name.

6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Tree is gone, although there is a lot of debris remaining, so it does require a bit of care.

I am glad it is gone since I did not read this before heading out this morning and that would have been a wake up call coming from the S-curve of death. Depending on where it actually lay, the S-curve of death might have been living up to its name.
    This was my thought as well as I came out of the curve in the dark and saw the flare remains and the branches on the ground. I could see where the tree had been, and if it had still been there, there's no way I would have been able to stop in time. Thank you Arlington County for always clearing the downed trees from the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

1/30/17: Custis clear, although they clearly didn't treat just east of the construction to Frederick. Trollheim is covered in snow but passible if one takes care. MVT was clear to at least humpback bridge (I got off going under there). The wooden bridge between the Johnson Memorial Grove and Boundary channel drive was covered in snow, but passable if one took care (and it looked like someone might have fallen on the Pentagon side judging by the way some of the snow was compacted and moved.

However, somewhere along the route there was something sharp that punctured by tire.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

W&OD near Sandburg.
    Slightly crispy.
    I'm guessing one of those tracks is hozn's

UPDATE - at 10:45 am this was all gone. Trail was clear and damp.
    Last edited by Steve O; 01-30-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: update

10. Likes secstate, highline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excessive natural beauty caused me some delays on the CCT today.

12. Likes Steve O, secstate, huskerdont, chris_s, Tania and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Pentagon there was about an inch of snow (already with multiple tire tracks) on the footbridge by the LBJ grove. The MVT over the humpback was clear. Curious how the MVT down to 4MRT, and 4MRT itself were. I took the bus from Shirlington to Pentagon, because some ice in front of my building got me nervous, but after seeing the MVT, I think I wimped out unnecessarily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    From the Pentagon there was about an inch of snow (already with multiple tire tracks) on the footbridge by the LBJ grove. The MVT over the humpback was clear. Curious how the MVT down to 4MRT, and 4MRT itself were. I took the bus from Shirlington to Pentagon, because some ice in front of my building got me nervous, but after seeing the MVT, I think I wimped out unnecessarily.
    It wasn't frozen or slippery, even on the airport bridges. I bet there will be some ice tonight and tomorrow morning though.

***I was totally wrong. I love losing bets like this!
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 01-31-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: 20/20 edit

15. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The dumpster has returned to N Quincy between Fairfax and 9th. It has been back for over a week now. Grrrr.