Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Default January 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Starting the monthly thread...

The Wilson Blvd underpass on the W&OD has about 2" of flowing water across the full width of the trail. Otherwise, no significant issues between Fowler in Falls Church and the Ballston Metro station.

Happy 2017 riding!

2. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reported this speed detection sign that was placed in the North Van Dorn St buffered bike lane in Alexandria on December 31 (Call.Click.Connect. #111613), but it is still there.

I also reported it via Twitter to both the Alexandria gov and police handles and got a response (they said they will communicate with the people who put it there): https://twitter.com/bobco85/status/815317704441741312

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Capital Crescent Trail has lots of little lakes and streams. I had to slow down a few times to keep my wheel lights from getting drowned. However, they are all passable.

6. Likes kwarkentien, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Crystal City Cosi burnt my squarely this morning. Watch out getting things toasted on your way in out there.

8. Likes chris_s, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I reported this speed detection sign that was placed in the North Van Dorn St buffered bike lane in Alexandria on December 31 (Call.Click.Connect. #111613), but it is still there.

I also reported it via Twitter to both the Alexandria gov and police handles and got a response (they said they will communicate with the people who put it there): https://twitter.com/bobco85/status/815317704441741312

Looks like citizen action might be required. We should place it in the car travel lane.

10. Likes shardg, kwarkentien, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trending on ARLNow: Man seen towing speed sensor with recumbent bicycle.

Post Thanks / Like

New shoe covers that promise water proofiness and new rain pants are on their way. No more excuses for me.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 01-03-2017 at 11:15 AM.

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The Crystal City Cosi burnt my squagel this morning. Watch out getting things toasted on your way in out there.
    fify.

&@#$* autocorrect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    New shoe covers that promise water proofiness and new rain pants are on their way. No more excuses for me.
    What did you buy? My Showers Pass rain pants work well on days like today when it is cold and rainy, but it's mostly too hot above 50 or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I went cheap on rain pants. I know they'll be too hot above say 45 degrees air temp, but at those temps I just pack a spare set of tights and wear neoprene socks with sandals. In other words, I don't try to stay dry. If I find them generally worthwhile for riding in rain, I'll probably spring for a better set but I'm somewhat dubious of how dry I will arrive. For the shoe covers, I got Pearl Izumi elite shoftshell MTB covers. Hoping they won't be too finicky getting on and off. I needed those for warmth as well as rain protection, having just trashed my last set of covers.