Likes Likes:  101
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2017 Road and Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I hate sweating in rain gear, so I did the opposite and got the pricey Showers Pass Refuge rain pants. In addition to fitting me better than others I tried (room for layers without being overly baggy), they have several ventilation features. Which, of course, should only be deployed based on the amount of rain and temperature. Haven't tried them in super yucky conditions yet... maybe later today.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I reported this speed detection sign that was placed in the North Van Dorn St buffered bike lane in Alexandria on December 31 (Call.Click.Connect. #111613), but it is still there.

I also reported it via Twitter to both the Alexandria gov and police handles and got a response (they said they will communicate with the people who put it there): https://twitter.com/bobco85/status/815317704441741312
    Can it be moved by hand? If so, move it into the buffer so there is room on the right for bike riders. That will undoubtedly get their attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowtriguy View Post
    The Wilson Blvd underpass on the W&OD has about 2" of flowing water across the full width of the trail.
    It is good to think about your detours for these underpasses. I went through an hour later and Carlin Springs underpass was about 6" under water and Bluemont (aka Wilson Blvd) was 3' deep.

It is quite dangerous to ride through these when there's a lot of water going through them. a) there can be debris below the surface that you can't see; and 2: Bluemont, in particular, has some weird water currents that want to push you toward the edge of the path at the downstream side of the underpass. When water is low, that isn't much of a problem. When it is deeper, it can be a pretty thrilling "ride".

Quote Originally Posted by slowtriguy View Post
    Happy 2017 riding!
    Don't tell me what to do!!!!

Just kidding, of course. Happy Happy Happy.

Love,
    Dirt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The Crystal City Cosi burnt my squarely this morning. Watch out getting things toasted on your way in out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At our office we call them squagels

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    At our office we call them squagels

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Damn you autocorrect!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I reported this speed detection sign that was placed in the North Van Dorn St buffered bike lane in Alexandria on December 31 (Call.Click.Connect. #111613), but it is still there.

I also reported it via Twitter to both the Alexandria gov and police handles and got a response (they said they will communicate with the people who put it there): https://twitter.com/bobco85/status/815317704441741312

Update on this situation: the sign has been moved! I cannot confirm whether it was Alexandria Police or Steve O, but I am happy with the result:

old location of the sign
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanDornSt - 3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	13050

new location a few hundred feet closer to King St (the highest speed I saw was 32 mph on that stretch, so the traffic calming has certainly worked)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanDornSt - 1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	13051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanDornSt - 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	13052

I posted my thanks to Alexandria Police.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, that is a much more sensible location

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep forgetting to ask this, but does anyone know why the lights are out on the MVT east of Lynn St. and around the TR Island parking lot? They've been out for a while, but I don't remember them being turned off during previous winters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    I must say, that is a much more sensible location
    From a don't-obstruct-the-bike-lane perspective, yes. But I would guess that the sign impacted driver behavior more at the old location. Motorists are more likely to speed downhill approaching Braddock than when they're entering the blind curve at the Park Place crosswalk.