Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bike Samaritan Prize

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Bike Samaritan Prize

If someone were to offer a Roadside Assistance service for bicycle riders, I would be the first to sign up. I’m one of those people who are eternally grateful when fellow riders stop to offer help. So this prize is for those who share their technical expertise on the roads or trails, be it for flat tires, slipped chains, etc.
    If you stop and help someone on the trail or road, please make note of it on this thread. Sweeping broken glass and removing tree-limbs from the trail are awesome too! You are a rock star.
    Last edited by wheels&wings; 01-05-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added more examples

2. Likes vvill, anomad, bentbike33, kwarkentien, Emm liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm off to a good start with the ninjas.

Twice yesterday, on Jan 1, I provided very grateful lightless riders with BikeArlington blinkie lights. I put the lights on their bikes as part of my service. One was a rider who had not expected to be out so late. The other was a non-English speaking rider on the 4MRT at Mt. Vernon. He offered to pay me, but I told him they were courtesy of BikeArlington.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    If someone were to offer a Roadside Assistance service for bicycle riders, I would be the first to sign up. Iím one of those people who are eternally grateful when fellow riders stop to offer help. So this prize is for those who share their technical expertise on the roads or trails, be it for flat tires, slipped chains, etc.
    If you stop and help someone on the trail or road, please make note of it on this thread. You are a rock star.

There actually is a service for about $30 a year. Kind of like AAA for bikes. Personally, they didn't always show up when I needed them most (they use tow truck services), so I haven't signed up with them recently, but some folks really like them. Forgetting the name . . . A really good service would be great!

5. Likes kwarkentien, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the W&OD trail patrol. Not trail cops, trail roadside assistance, guidance and information. might even be a few here too.

7. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington County also has its own bike-based Trail Rangers, who are more than happy to provide assistance to stranded bikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Better World Club? (And while I oppose AAA's lobbying efforts and don't want to send them any potential members, they also do bicycle roadside assistance - but if you're already a member you might as well use all the features.)

Post Thanks / Like

I like those people and try to be one myself.

I've only been in the DC area since May, but I have seen a number of generous humans helping people with flat tires or other problems along the path.

The worst for me was a guy I stopped for and he said he had a broken spoke. Turns out he'd broken a spoke a while back, went to a bike shop and since it was drive side they would have to charge labor to remove and reinstall the cassette and put in a 2 dollar spoke. Something like a 40 or 50 dollar bill for a pretty simple job. He couldn't stomach that price and just kept riding. Turns out it was the 3rd spoke that had let loose when I stopped and he was miles from home! I suggested he ride really slowly and carefully and hope the wheel made it home. The guy even had cassette tool and chain whip at home but had never used them or replaced a spoke.

11. Likes Allan C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm sure there will be more heroic exploits than mine. But just to get it started, I found a branch completely across the Capital Crescent Trail tonight. It wasn't that hard to lift a bike over it, but I was concerned that someone traveling faster than I, or with less powerful headlights, might not see it in time to stop. So I dragged the whole thing off the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Branch.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	13042

13. Likes kwarkentien, Judd, Steve O, JonRobot, chris_s and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nomination:

Don't know who you were, but you biked past me on Powder Mill 212 near Springfield Road and Patuxent Wildlife Refuge around 4:15. I was walking back towards Springfield to meet my pickup, because I was stupid and let my flat repair kit at home. Thank you for stopping to offer me assistance with your own repairs - and despite me turning down your offer I do appreciate it nonetheless!

15. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some total fucking asshole smashed a glass bottle on the 14th Street Bridge near the Virginia side today. It wasn't there when I headed to Hains Point but it was there when I was headed back. Tons of shards across the entire width of the path. I got nearly all of it swept off, but there might be some tiny pieces there still.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13485

17. Likes Sunyata, Steve O, BobCochran, streetsmarts liked this post