Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Request for alternative scoring systems

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurlyTed1187 View Post
    What if we just ride to ride?

This is my first BAFS, and I'm excited to be a part of this community of fellow loons.
    Didn't you do the required reading?

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Freeze Points last year. The more charts in general, the happier I am. More stuff to waste time at work obsessing over!

Post Thanks / Like

The distance, elevation, speed chart is cool. Only problem is Erik B and his "700,000 ft" of climbing in December so far skewing the chart badly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    The distance, elevation, speed chart is cool. Only problem is Erik B and his "700,000 ft" of climbing in December so far skewing the chart badly
    His near daily 20,000 foot climbs between Anacostia and Dupont Circle are amazing, I hope Elon Musk is paying him well

6. Likes kwarkentien, Bob James, ewilliams0305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    He forgot to turn off his Garmin when he got into the airplane?
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-23-2016 at 09:39 PM.

8. Likes kwarkentien, Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    The true objective of BAFS is to maintain a steady stream of pointless arguments...
    No it isn't.

10. Likes kwarkentien, jrenaut, Steve O, sjclaeys, hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like freeze points and welcome more charting ideas, especially if they include volunteering to write the necessary queries! :-) (Which is what vvill did for freeze points, I should note.)

I think FS has "worked" with its current scoring, whatever that means exactly, but I don't think it would fail if the points system made the game more dynamic or more rewarding of riding in gritty conditions rather than turning out 200-mile days.

I know there are a number of veterans that aren't doing it this year because they would rather not deal with the commitment. It does make me wonder if there might be a better system. But the one we have has been fun for many people.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how to write queries, but here's how I might devise a "crowd-sourced" bad day scoring bonus. The tricky part is that it's dynamic across the contest; that is, your older points can change as the game continues.

Assumption:
    The fewer people who ride, the worse the conditions. Given there's no perfect way to determine how bad it is, I think this is probably the best proxy for determining the combination of weather and road/trail conditions.

- Rank the days based on number of riders
    - the 10 days with lowest rider numbers get more highly weighted points like this:
    • Worst day - 2.0
    • 2nd worst - 1.9
    • 3rd worst - 1.8

etc. to 10th worst - 1.1

What makes this tricky is that come March, if there's a horrific rainstorm that makes March 11 the 3rd lowest riding day, then it retroactively changes the points for the previous days 4-10.

(variation - 20 worst days: 2.0, 1.95, 1.9, 1.85, 1.8, etc.......)

Maybe someone taking a SQL class can take this on as a project.

13. Likes hozn, jrenaut liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'm in favor of retroactively changing the scoring. I like your idea, though.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Steve's idea. Even enough to do the SQL work if there is interest in using it. Personally, I don't think retroactive scoring is terrible, since we already allow people to sit on rides (not upload) for the entire length of the competition, if they so choose. Maybe we could tighten the window a bit, though, so that the worst days were only per week or something. So that you would have a pretty good idea before end of competition.

I also think the freeze points method (if I remember right) of tapering off awards for mileage so that the value of miles drop off above a certain number might help keep the pressure on team members to all do their parts. And maybe we could have the pointless prizes earn real bonus points for the teams?

I do think it would be interesting to keep the leaderboards more dynamic and diminish rewards for churning out 300-mile weeks in favor of more reward for participating in the games, group rides, etc. that probably make this more fun. This isn't the NBC. Plus it is sad that Subby isn't playing this year.

I do think we should provide extra points (double points?) for team group rides ... (We can track those in Strava.)

16. Likes Edelweiss, Sunyata, jrenaut liked this post