Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Request for alternative scoring systems

  1. #1
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Request for alternative scoring systems

    Do you have a great idea for a way we could score Freezing Saddles to increase the competitiveness? While nothing you suggest would replace the current scoring system without 600 pages of "discussion", I'm interested in comparing some alternatives.

    I've been trying to think of a way to give bonus points for miles when it sucks out - say on the average day, all participants together ride 1000 miles. Today, all participants together only rode 500 miles, so we assume it was a crappy day and give bonus points to those who rode. The only problem with this is that it could really benefit people who were elsewhere. Or maybe VA gets hit with a big snowstorm, but MD only gets a dusting, so MD riders get a bonus for nothing. Not sure there's a way to do it effectively. Weather data is too unreliable.

  2. #2
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    3,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Do you have a great idea for a way we could score Freezing Saddles to increase the competitiveness? While nothing you suggest would replace the current scoring system without 600 pages of "discussion", I'm interested in comparing some alternatives.

    I've been trying to think of a way to give bonus points for miles when it sucks out - say on the average day, all participants together ride 1000 miles. Today, all participants together only rode 500 miles, so we assume it was a crappy day and give bonus points to those who rode. The only problem with this is that it could really benefit people who were elsewhere. Or maybe VA gets hit with a big snowstorm, but MD only gets a dusting, so MD riders get a bonus for nothing. Not sure there's a way to do it effectively. Weather data is too unreliable.
    I had a similar suggestion last year. I actually think using ourselves as the proxy for how bad the weather is is probably the best way. It has its little quirks, as you point out, but they probably even out over the contest. Some sort of baseline would have to be established and then scoring details "discussed," but I like this idea.

    Using weather data is way too hard. 33 and raining is much worse than 18 and sunny, or even 25 and snowing.

    Last year, vvill also came up with the "freeze points" concept. I don't recall the exact details.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've got a fat bike, so I'll find riding during a snow storm easier than someone with just a road bike. And then how does the program that automatically sucks in the ride data account for where someone rode vs how the weather was in that area? It just sounds like a rabbit hole to a big headache to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    1,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I've got a fat bike, so I'll find riding during a snow storm easier than someone with just a road bike. And then how does the program that automatically sucks in the ride data account for where someone rode vs how the weather was in that area? It just sounds like a rabbit hole to a big headache to me.
    As far as the fat bike goes, it's a handicap on some of the other metrics (the guys with the ultra-light road bikes can probably ride much farther with the same effort), and a benefit on this one. We've never tried to account for differences in bikes in any part of this competition, and I wouldn't want to start now.

    And the whole point of their metric was that it was inexact. It is based on how many people ride that day, which is a rough (but not exact) proxy for how bad the weather was in this area. (People may ride less on weekends, for example, regardless of weather.) And it doesn't account for people riding elsewhere. But that's an issue with regular points as well--the guy in Florida can easily maintain a perfect record of riding every day, while the rest of us are busy digging out.

    I really don't care about jrenault's proposal, one way or the other. But the fact that the measurement is inexact does not trouble me.

    TL;DR: This is a friendly competition, in which the typical prize is a decorated paper plate. If something adds a bit of fun to the competition, let's not get so focused on exact measurement that we lose the fun.

  5. Likes Bob James, Alcova cyclist liked this post
    ELITE Phatboing ELITED this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Silver Spring
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There's other factors that dictate why people ride of certain dates. For example if I call out of work and ride 200 miles while everyone is wallowing in self pity at work reading the bike Arlington forum are you going to be happy that I got extra points if the metric shows few miles from the other riders? Alternately I get NO days off work ever! So those days everyone else would likely ride a lot and reduce the value of my shitty 3 mile commute. Yeah, this sounds like a total pain in the saddle. Besides it's been working great the past few years. A side bet pointless prize with an alternative scoring method would be fun and interesting to play with!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Falls church
    Posts
    1,092
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about alternative charts that use the existing data and show/expose new angles? The distance/elevation/ave speed chart is great fun.

  8. Likes ewilliams0305 liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What if we just ride to ride?

    Isn't one of the main objectives of BAFS to encourage those participating to keep pedaling through the less desirable winter months? A ride for me vs a ride for Jon/Jane Doe is still a ride. I don't think my ride should count any different because I have streamers on my handlebars, and he/she is riding on aero bars.

    I don't need more points just because the temps are 10░ lower when I rode v 2 hours later when someone else rode, or because I'm riding 23c tires instead of 32c. Nor do I feel that the next guy should be awarded fewer points because his bike is 58g lighter than mine.

    This is my first BAFS, and I'm excited to be a part of this community of fellow loons. Let's K.I.S.S. (it's an acronym, look it up).



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Silver Spring
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    How about alternative charts that use the existing data and show/expose new angles? The distance/elevation/ave speed chart is great fun.
    I love that chart! Can we get a sorta horse race playback chart that replays the the leader board from day 1 to the current day, that's would be entertainment.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Likes SurlyTed1187 liked this post
  12. #9
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyTed1187 View Post
    What if we just ride to ride?

    Isn't one of the main objectives of BAFS to encourage those participating to keep pedaling through the less desirable winter months?
    Hahahahah...I envy your childlike na´vetÚ! The true objective of BAFS is to maintain a steady stream of pointless arguments and meaningless threads through the winter doldrums. Bike riding occurs solely to generate fodder for the forum.

  13. Likes kwarkentien, hozn, sjclaeys, Steve O, vern and 3 others liked this post
  14. #10
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Posts
    3,702
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyTed1187 View Post
    Isn't one of the main objectives of BAFS to encourage those participating to keep pedaling through the less desirable winter months?
    No. Freezing Saddles is not a form of bike advocacy. Individuals may seek to use it for that purpose. But there is no organization nor mission behind Freezing Saddles to promote anything.

    Freezing Saddles is a bunch of friends, um, peers, um well people who bumped into each other at least once at coffee - acting like idiots together because its fun.... um, humorous, um well it beats staying at home and having to talk to the teenagers.

    Ergo, the more idiotic schemers make this, the better. Like Coffeuneering, the more rules the better. As complicated as possible! So we wont possibly know who will win until the Russians tell us.

    PS: Are we going to have Fantasy Freezing Saddles This Year?

    Last edited by rcannon100; 12-22-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: No. No I am not trying to help in any way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •