Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    bullsnot?
    ballsout

4. Likes Judd, QuikAF77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    ballsout
    As far as this winters weather is concerned you might get away with this but it is otherwise not recommended.

6. Likes Steve O, Judd, QuikAF77, dkel, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QuikAF77 View Post
    Ahh. I was looking at the adjusted score list. Weird, I fall from 4th to somewhere in the middle based on bump %, yet I ride a pretty good amount pretty much every day.
    Not surprising. You "win" on this measure by riding much more on bad days than on good. If you ride pretty much the same amount regardless of the weather, you don't get as much of a bump.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the data using Steve O's Crazy idea scoring system.
    There will be Pointless Prizes based on a complete black box system of my devising, which I will announce at the final HH.

In the meanwhile, here's how the team standings changed using the alternative scoring system. Some teams would have moved up a couple of places and vice versa. Given how wimpy my team was (with some exceptions), I'm not surprised we moved down a couple places. Green means the team moved up in the standings; red means down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badass.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	14417

9. Likes jrenaut, QuikAF77 liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So it looks like nothing much would have changed if we'd used your system. I guess that's good - seems likely that we've chosen the optimal system (simple + as competitive as it's going to get).

Look forward to starting up the "conversations" about rule changes for next year!

Post Thanks / Like

And here's how the top 20 would have fared under the Badass system. Green means that player would have ranked higher; red means lower.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badass.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	14441
    A little change in the top 10, but a bunch of players would have dropped out of the top 20 altogether. I think this shows that one type of rider can rack up miles, but a different type of rider racks up "badass" miles.
    Last edited by Steve O; 03-24-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Corrected table

12. Likes vvill liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    So it looks like nothing much would have changed if we'd used your system. I guess that's good - seems likely that we've chosen the optimal system (simple + as competitive as it's going to get).
    I didn't expect the system to change the team rankings as much as the individual rankings, which I think is borne out by my previous post.

I also believe that in a year in which we actually had more challenging weather, we would have seen more variation in the scores. It would be interesting to do this analysis on 2016 and see if that had a greater effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    And here's how the top 20 would have fared under the Badass system. Green means that player would have ranked higher; red means lower.
    Attachment 14437
    A little change in the top 10, but a bunch of players would have dropped out of the top 20 altogether. I think this shows that one type of rider can rack up miles, but a different type of rider racks up "badass" miles.
    I think we should use Steve O's Crazy Idea for the individual rankings this year.

15. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I think we should use Steve O's Crazy Idea for the individual rankings this year.
    As someone who moves up 20 places in the standings by this math, I agree wholeheartedly!

I do agree with Steve that it may have been more interesting/impactful if we had something closer to a "normal" winter. It's hard to say how much of this year's disparities is driven by "fewer people rode today because it was terrible outside all day" vs. "fewer people rode today because of life."

Part of it also gets to the more philosophical "why people rode how much they rode when they rode." For me - it was all about opportunity: regardless of the weather forecast, I rode as much as I could get away with given work/family responsibilities. If it so happened that a greater share of my miles came on days fewer people rode, so be it. (It is interesting to see the wide range of "bump %" figures for those who rode all 78 days - from 5% to 34%.)