Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Data & techie stuff for BAFS 2017

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    As the Beerneuring brewmaster, I keep a tally of the score and have posted it periodically. If one really wants to figure it out them selves, they probably could, though I'm the final arbiter of what counts.
    Not being technical, I don't know how easy this would be.
    What if the owner of the pointless prize (in this case sjclaeys) had a place on line where they could update the stats directly and then the website would draw from that. Maybe a Google Doc or something?
    So Steve would just update when he can, and the FS website would automatically capture it. This could also work for other ones like bicycle tag, London Bridge and the wicked-cool social prize.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    What if the owner of the pointless prize (in this case sjclaeys) had a place on line where they could update the stats directly and then the website would draw from that. Maybe a Google Doc or something?
    So Steve would just update when he can, and the FS website would automatically capture it. This could also work for other ones like bicycle tag, London Bridge and the wicked-cool social prize.
    Hmm. Interesting idea. If the coding powers that be can make that work somehow, I am willing to input the data for the social prizes. It might make things a bit more "social" as people are able to keep up with who is doing however many social events and start to one up the others. Oooh! This is going to be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go along with whatever is done, but do not really see the point of creating this extra work for the tech folks. Part of the fun of Beerneuring is following who goes where, what they had and what they thought. It isn't just a game of collecting points. The points are a means to an end, not the end itself.

4. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Part of the fun of Beerneuring is following who goes where, what they had and what they thought. It isn't just a game of collecting points. The points are a means to an end, not the end itself.
    Agree completely.
    I think putting some sort of indicator--like a points button--on the freezingsaddles.com website will guide many players who would otherwise never have heard of beerneuring. There should also be a link on the beerneuring points page to the forum thread. That way people who only log into freezingsaddles.com have a pathway to find it.

My point wasn't to single out beerneuring in particular, but rather to suggest having several leaderboards equally represented on the home page. Insomuch as they help guide people to the side bets, social activities and other reindeer games, all the better.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a way to feature the forum threads for the pointless prizes on the Freezing Saddles website? That's much easier/faster to do, and also helps direct people to the forum, where they may become active participants.

7. Likes Steve O, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    What about a way to feature the forum threads for the pointless prizes on the Freezing Saddles website? That's much easier/faster to do, and also helps direct people to the forum, where they may become active participants.
    That's also a fine idea. There are actually two objectives in my mind, and they've gotten a bit conflated:

- Include additional leaderboards right up front, such as Ride Days or Freeze Points or HP Laps, to broaden the competition.

- Provide more connectivity between the FS website and the side bets, social activities, etc. to help engage people who are oblivious to them because they only check the website.

Hence a leaderboard for the extra-cool Social Prize or something could further both objectives at once, but it's just an idea.

Also, we should add the FS google calendar to the website. It's already up and running.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, we should add the FS google calendar to the website. It's already up and running.
    For those of you who know how to do this, instructions are here: https://support.google.com/calendar/..._topic=3417970

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who know how to do this, instructions are here: https://support.google.com/calendar/..._topic=3417970
    Yeah, we can definitely do this. I have added it to (the top of) my list.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I am glad Jon is volunteering! :-) But, yes, this shouldn't be too hard.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify....hidden rides are counted on the website, right?