Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Data & techie stuff for BAFS 2017

Post Thanks / Like

sweet - thanks! does amazon own strava?

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon offers hosting services that Strava and other companies rely upon. I use a Garmin to record my rides and Garmin Connect seems to be affected as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I used both Strava and MapMyRide simultaneously around 3:30PM. Both seem to have recorded the ride, but as of yet neither has synced to the database. MMR's site is up at least, but my guess is their back end is hosted by Amazon and affected by the outage.

If anything got recorded during this time, by any app, you should be able to download the ride and upload it to Strava later.

Post Thanks / Like

Garmin Connect seems to be fine. I started cranking about 2:15...my ride was immediately uploaded to GC, but obviously it is not showing in Strava, since Strava is still down. So, go ride, record it, and wait for the server farm issue to be resolved by Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

It's starting to work...but really slowly. Had to manually upload my last ride...and it is taking forever.

Post Thanks / Like

My ride immediately posted to Garmin Connect but not yet on Strava. And so we wait.

And the Amazon issue is affecting Arlington County's website too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Doh! I noticed today that 9 miles in my Garmin 1000 was happy, awake, in record mode, not paused, giving screen data but the miles were still at 0. Paused the ride turned it off and on and it started showing miles when I restarted. Looking at Strava and in the Garmin unit's int history it seems the Garmin went through the motions of looking like it recorded my Sat and Sun sleezy 2.9 mile mouse wheel loop rides while leaving no trace of them.
    First time I have had this one flop on me. Any clever tricks to see if the missing rides are there but not recognized by the system?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Doh! I noticed today that 9 miles in my Garmin 1000 was happy, awake, in record mode, not paused, giving screen data but the miles were still at 0. Paused the ride turned it off and on and it started showing miles when I restarted. Looking at Strava and in the Garmin unit's int history it seems the Garmin went through the motions of looking like it recorded my Sat and Sun sleezy 2.9 mile mouse wheel loop rides while leaving no trace of them.
    First time I have had this one flop on me. Any clever tricks to see if the missing rides are there but not recognized by the system?
    Bob James and I both had issues the past week with the Garmin Edge 1000 not acquiring satellites. (and also some random not turning on issues) Resolved for both of us by upgrading the device software to version 12. I lost a few miles as well (but I have a ride where it looks like I rode straight through the Pentagon). You can get the miles back by downloading a previous similar ride, changing the date in the file and then uploading to Strava.

9. Likes QuikAF77, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Bob James and I both had issues the past week with the Garmin Edge 1000 not acquiring satellites. (and also some random not turning on issues) Resolved for both of us by upgrading the device software to version 12. I lost a few miles as well (but I have a ride where it looks like I rode straight through the Pentagon). You can get the miles back by downloading a previous similar ride, changing the date in the file and then uploading to Strava.
    Just a clarification on this: The file you download is a text file. So you can change the date by opening the file in a text editor (e.g., Notepad), and doing a simple search and replace.

Alternatively, you can change the date on the ride you just downloaded, before uploading the file you downloaded.

However, if you download the file and then upload it, with the idea of changing the date after you do, Strava will tell you that it's a duplicate file and refuse to upload it.

11. Likes kwarkentien, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Timely info, thanks. Went to ride home and what do you know, the 1000 informed me that it wanted to update. I said well OK then go right ahead. It is now running Ver.12. Worked fine on the out lap last night but wonky again this am. Seems the sat lock comes and goes and after a while it stops looking. After a while I turned it off and on with no help but it later got a 100% lock and worked fine for the last couple of miles. Totally forgot that my watch is a fully capable activity tracker too. Guess I will use my vioactive or phone to record until I get this one figured out.

13. Likes Judd liked this post