Likes Likes:  103
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  8
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles Welcome Happy Hour -- meet your teammates!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles Welcome Happy Hour -- meet your teammates!

Hi everyone,
    Here are the details for the initial Freezing Saddles Happy Hour, the event at which we will meet our teammates and celebrate the start of the Freezing Saddles season!

Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017
    (The Freezing Saddles contest starts on Jan. 1st, but holding the happy hour on Jan. 10 gives the coordinators time to create the teams and work through the technical details).
    Time: 6 to 8 pm (officially) but we’re welcome to stay ‘til 9:30 or 10 pm.
    Location: Bier Baron Tavern, located at 1523 22nd St NW, Washington, DC (between P and Q Streets on the east side of the street)...this is near Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom in DC.
    It’s a beautiful, large space with a lot of character. There’s a stage, a screen, a juke box, sound system (we can hook up an iphone), projector, etc….really good amenities.
    The space can hold 225 people (standing) and there are 150 seats, so it’s much bigger than we’ve had in prior years. There are loads of tables. We considered many other options, but this one is by far the best.
    Cover charge (suggested donation): $10 per person…The first two bucks is for Bier Baron, to cover our facility rental and staffing, and the rest will pay for a buffet of finger food…soft pretzels, quesadillas, hummus with pita and veggies, falafel….
    Beer: Bier Baron sells 24 beers on draft, and up ‘til 7 pm there’s a $1 discount on the draft beers (the standard price is $5 to $9 for most types). They also sell 600 types of beer in bottles, and they have sodas and juices as well. There’s a full menu of dinner food for those who wish a heartier meal.
    Children: If you’re not able to park your little ones with a friend or a babysitter, feel free to bring them along. This is a bar, so adults will be carded at the door, but kids are welcome until 9 pm.
    Bike Parking: We are scouting the neighborhood for bike-parking options. Ideas welcome!!
    RSVPs: We are making a list of likely attendees so as to have an approximate head count for food. Please reply on this thread if you’d like to join us (and please indicate the number if you’ll be bringing friends/family). All are welcome.

Looking forward! w&w on behalf of your friendly FS social committee

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there. Thanks for organizing!

Post Thanks / Like

Attending

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there.

In regards to getting there, if anyone would like to join me/convoy/etc., I plan on using this route from my office in Ballston to get there:
    • Quincy St to Custis Trail
    • Cross Key Bridge, get onto Water St
    • Water St to Rock Creek Park Trail
    • RCP Trail to P St then 22nd St
    • route looks somewhat like this: https://goo.gl/maps/rUQd6YioR4K2

For bike parking (Rackspotter shows a dearth of capacity suitable for a large group), I have 2 ideas:
    1. Take command of one of the parking spaces out front and use it for storing bikes
    2. Set up bike racks across 22nd Street in the triangular space next to the Taras Shevchenko statue

Post Thanks / Like

YES!!!! I finally get to come to an opening happy hour!!!

I'm just coming from 7th and F Streets NW, so I doubt anyone will need a convoy, but I'm happy to guide anyone who would like one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for organizing! I'll be there, although probably not until after 7.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be there! Riding from the Shirlington area if anyone wants to convoy up.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I plan on being there. Is TwoWheelValet still in business? I thought they were the ones who did the valet at the ArlCo Fair, but maybe that was someone else. They charge money, obviously, but I'd be willing to pay extra for the convenience.

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

Live streaming for those based in Lima who will be on a trip in Kampala?

Come on guys... this is international now. As long as you can guarantee a media blackout on all things related to BAFS for the British Isles we are all in this together. Excluding Boomer of course, given the cheater riding on the wrong side of the road that he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, man, Tuesdays are band rehearsal nights for me. I probably won't be able to make it.