Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Why no CaBi at Potomac Yards?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why no CaBi at Potomac Yards?

Does anyone have insight into why a Capital Bikeshare station hasn't been installed at the Potomac Yards shopping center? I've been watching the crowdsource map for a while and there is a significant gap between the Alexandria docks (I live in Delray) and the Arlington docks. It seems like a no brainer to give people the option to Bikeshare to Potomac Yards for shopping, dining or seeing a movie, not having to worry about locking up their bikes and then being able to take a bike home to their local Bikeshare station afterwards. I worry about locking up my own bike there given the lack of security and end up driving most of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus the number of racks in the area is abysmal. I know the stores are slated to be torn down for housing eventually (the leases were for 20 years) so perhaps that is why.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.alexandriava.gov/Bikesharing

See the map - there are three stations proposed for PY. In the past availability of bikes from the supplier/operator was an issue, but I believe now the only constraint is funding. I know some new stations are to be paid for by developers. There was an issue a few months ago where a developer was going to pay for the installation, but there were no City funds available for operation. That was resolved IIUC, but I am not sure if that was any of the PY stations - it may be the developers of the buildings now there made other proffers/concessions, and have not funded a CaBi station. Of course there are many parcels yet to be developed, and possibly some of those will be tied to one of the new CaBi stations.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Plus the number of racks in the area is abysmal. I know the stores are slated to be torn down for housing eventually (the leases were for 20 years) so perhaps that is why.
    The shopping center area, PY north, has a plan that envisions residential, offices, hotels, retail (and I think a school). Most of that will await the new metro station - even if the zoning is in place already, and even if the retail leases were not a constraint, the market (especially for offices) will me moved by the metrorail station.

PY South of course is already well along in development, but that does not seem to be where OP has in mind.