Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Travel Bike Wishlist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure it's much easier to pack in a full-size box My primary concern is fitting a full-size bike box in the back of a European car along with two suitcases, carry-ons, ... kids. I don't see that happening. My secondary concern ("while I'm at it") is that if I can save $300 per trip in baggage costs, that'd pay for the cost of the couplers after 2 trips.
    Just an FYI, Crateworks coroplast bike boxes can be broken down flat and folded to take up much less space in a car. Five friends took advantage of this benefit on a Colorado mountain bike trip in a 15 passenger van rental.

Your example above is a perfect one for a S&S-coupled bike though. (Now wondering if I should have kids and take a trip to Europe to justify an S&S bike...)

2. Likes Steve O, hozn liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I use velcro zip-ties a bunch of a lot of things. They can be a little more fidgety than regular zip-ties if it's a small opening, and tougher to get them quite as tight if you need that.

But otherwise I prefer them - mostly because they're reusable, and you don't need clippers/cutters. They can pick up dirt a bit too over time which may eventually lead to them not being reusable I guess but so far I haven't had any failures with them.

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I use velcro zip-ties a bunch of a lot of things. They can be a little more fidgety than regular zip-ties if it's a small opening, and tougher to get them quite as tight if you need that.

But otherwise I prefer them - mostly because they're reusable, and you don't need clippers/cutters. They can pick up dirt a bit too over time which may eventually lead to them not being reusable I guess but so far I haven't had any failures with them.
    Cool -- do you know if they make these small enough to fit the cable bosses for zip-tie mounts on bike frames?

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I use tiny little zip ties (3 of them) for my rear brake cable, and carry spares plus a little pair of snippers in my travel tool kit. (A Swiss Army knife also works, which I generally have anyway.) Having a reusable velcro option could be nice!

My two derailleur cables are coupled with little barrel splitters.

7. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Currently I use tiny little zip ties (3 of them) for my rear brake cable, and carry spares plus a little pair of snippers...
    LPT: nail clippers are an excellent zip tie cutter, and can prevent those sharp corners that always, somehow, end up cutting your leg

9. Likes Emm, ginacico, Steve O liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool -- do you know if they make these small enough to fit the cable bosses for zip-tie mounts on bike frames?
    Sorry, don't know. I'm sure I have a few you can have to try if you like. I have these (0.5 inch): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5K82A

I've mostly used them for Garmin/camera mounts in odd places, or weird stuff like securing a pump to an old sagging seatbag, or for a spare tube since it's not as flimsy as the rubber bands that come with tubes, or even temporarily securing a hard-to-mount tire to a rim. You can fold them over to make them narrower (or perhaps trim them with scissors, they're quite soft) but then you'd lose some strength from reduced hooks/loops, not that you need a ton of strength for cables. I guess you could just keep wrapping the wider unfolded part around the whole tube to keep it in place although down/toptubes may need an extra one since they're wider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    LPT: nail clippers are an excellent zip tie cutter, and can prevent those sharp corners that always, somehow, end up cutting your leg
    Burn the end of the cut off zip tie with a lighter for ~2 seconds. The sharp plastic edges melt and then solidify nice and smoove.

12. Likes hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So have been enjoying the travel frame on travel. Packing it the second time is faster -- around 45 minutes: [youtube]4dyDjVKJt6U[/youtube]

I think I can get this closer to 30 with a little more practice and maybe a couple additional (small) tools.

Post Thanks / Like

.... I think I can get this closer to 30 with a little more practice and maybe a couple additional (small) tools.
    Sounds like as good as an excuse for bike travel as I can think of ...

15. Likes hozn, anomad liked this post