Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReplacING batteries on blinking lights

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ReplacING batteries on blinking lights

Does anyone do this? It seems wasteful to toss them when the batteries are done, but OTOH I can see people thinking it absurdly cheap to maintain something handed out for free. Depending on the response, I may have a further question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Does anyone do this? It seems wasteful to toss them when the batteries are done, but OTOH I can see people thinking it absurdly cheap to maintain something handed out for free. Depending on the response, I may have a further question.
    Yes, it is easy to do.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Arlington blinkies have replaceable button batteries. You just have to pull out the hardware from the rubber covering and take off the black cover. You'll see the batteries inside. I just replaced mine in fact.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So here's my question. I got 3 volt coin shaped duracell batteries to replace the old ones. But the new ones are thinner than the original blinkie batteries, and the replacement does not seem to work. The duracells were the only 3 volt batteries I saw at the drug store. Do I need to go somewhere else to find batteries that match?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    So here's my question. I got 3 volt coin shaped duracell batteries to replace the old ones. But the new ones are thinner than the original blinkie batteries, and the replacement does not seem to work. The duracells were the only 3 volt batteries I saw at the drug store. Do I need to go somewhere else to find batteries that match?
    Besides for the voltage the 4 digit code must match. The two letters just indicate the brand, e.g. DL=Duracell. CR is a generic designation with C meaning lithium and R meaning round.
    I don't know which type you use but all of my bike computers have used 2032. 20 means 20 mm diameter, and 32 means 3.2 mm thickness. You must have bought something with a lower last two digits than needed. I suspect that the drug store does carry the correct type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Besides for the voltage the 4 digit code must match. The two letters just indicate the brand, e.g. DL=Duracell. CR is a generic designation with C meaning lithium and R meaning round.
    I don't know which type you use but all of my bike computers have used 2032. 20 means 20 mm diameter, and 32 means 3.2 mm thickness. You must have bought something with a lower last two digits than needed. I suspect that the drug store does carry the correct type.
    The BikeArlington blinkies use the very common (for a button cell battery) 2032 battery. Anything else will not fit. Sounds like you tried a 2016, which is thinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    The BikeArlington blinkies use the very common (for a button cell battery) 2032 battery. Anything else will not fit. Sounds like you tried a 2016, which is thinner.
    oh, and they must go in with the proper polarity, or you won't get light. Another reason for proper polarity- the 2032 is a common battery used for the CMOS functions on a computer motherboard. There are warnings about the battery exploding if installed backwards. No, that hasn't happened to me in my IT career... (Now watch the panic ensue, ) I know, shame on me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Yup, that is what happened.

Any common household uses for the 2016?

Post Thanks / Like

Why not experiment, add 1.6mm of aluminum foil?

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

FastFriendlyGuy replaces blinkie batteries. He buys them in bulk online. You could probably sweet talk him into giving you one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk