Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACPD to Ticket More Cyclists

Post Thanks / Like

Default ACPD to Ticket More Cyclists

Arlington County Police are doing "Safety Details" on Lee Highway and Columbia Pike. Though these efforts are supposed to address unlawful behavior by drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, cyclists always seem to get the disproportionate share. Funny how that always happens, so be warned. More info here:https://www.arlnow.com/2016/11/15/ac...tail-thursday/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm can't imagine ACPD would be so focused on ticketing cyclists that they would let a bunch of drivers speed past going well over the speed limit during their "safety detail", but if someone wants to borrow my radar gun and double check, message me to arrange pickup. (batteries not included - takes 2 Cs)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the two locations published do imply that motorist enforcement is the focus. Lee and N Edison is an unsignalized crosswalk, while Columbia Pike and S Frederick is that new flashing beacon crosswalk. Neither location likely sees much bicycle traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. N. Edison Street is my Lee Hwy. crossing twice a day, and is where that teenager was hit in the crosswalk and critically injured a few weeks back. It's actually difficult not to stop there in the afternoons because there's so much traffic; I can often Idaho it at 6 a.m. There indeed isn't a huge amount of cyclist traffic, so motorists speeding or not stopping for folks in that crosswalk could be the reason there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    I'm can't imagine ACPD would be so focused on ticketing cyclists that they would let a bunch of drivers speed past going well over the speed limit during their "safety detail", but if someone wants to borrow my radar gun and double check, message me to arrange pickup. (batteries not included - takes 2 Cs)
    I recall seeing in the ABAC notes a while back that the ACPD reported that about 2/3 of the tickets it issued at a "Safety Detail" at Lee and Lynn went to cyclists, so it does look like they are focused on ticketing cyclists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I recall seeing in the ABAC notes a while back that the ACPD reported that about 2/3 of the tickets it issued at a "Safety Detail" at Lee and Lynn went to cyclists, so it does look like they are focused on ticketing cyclists.
    To be fair, it may vary based on the location. As others have pointed out, the current locations do seem to be very much focused on cars yielding to peds in the crosswalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Based on what I see going through that intersection twice a day, I'd say many of the ticketed cyclists completely deserved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    To be fair, it may vary based on the location. As others have pointed out, the current locations do seem to be very much focused on cars yielding to peds in the crosswalk.
    I hope that you are right, but ACPD's past practice does not bode well. I also hope that the ABAC follows up with the ACPD on the results of these efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Based on what I see going through that intersection twice a day, I'd say many of the ticketed cyclists completely deserved it.
    True, but the unticketed drivers also deserved it.

10. 11-16-2016, 12:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like

The enforcement event at Lee and Edison was focused on Ped safety, targeting cars/drivers for failing to yield to peds in the crosswalk. I talked to Lt. Dennis after the event and he said several tickets were issued, all to driver.