Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACPD to Ticket More Cyclists

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    The enforcement event at Lee and Edison was focused on Ped safety, targeting cars/drivers for failing to yield to peds in the crosswalk. I talked to Lt. Dennis after the event and he said several tickets were issued, all to driver.
    Sounds a lot better than what we have had, and are going to again have, in Old Town Alexandria.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Well, the two locations published do imply that motorist enforcement is the focus. Lee and N Edison is an unsignalized crosswalk, while Columbia Pike and S Frederick is that new flashing beacon crosswalk. Neither location likely sees much bicycle traffic.
    I live on the Pike in sight of the Columbia Pike & S Fredrick intersection. I wouldn't say there's a significant amount of bike traffic, but probably a couple dozen a day at least. That said, the Pike is not a road I ride on unless there's absolutely no other choice. For some perspective, I'm fairly tolerant of riding in traffic & do so daily commuting in/out of the city, but I can count on one hand how many times I've ridden on the Pike.

If metro into the city, I get off at the bus stop there an have to cross Columbia Pike at that crosswalk to get to my building's side of the street. In my experience, drivers rarely stop for the flashing crosswalk lights at that intersection. Between the significant amount of vehicles turning on/off S Fredrick and the number of pedestrians trying to cross there, that intersection really, really, really, needs a four way stop light.

About two years ago a woman in my building was struck by a car while trying to cross (while the lights were flashing) and from what I recall; word around my building was that the county decided a light should be installed, but that it would take 18-24 months. Again, my memory is fuzzy...it may have been they would do a study and decide in 18-24 months whether or not they should install one. I'll believe it when they install it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to have my usual skepticism to be proven wrong: https://www.arlnow.com/2016/11/22/ac...n-enforcement/ Now the fun is betting at what point do the ARLNow comments on this article get an anti-bike rant.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    I am glad to have my usual skepticism to be proven wrong: https://www.arlnow.com/2016/11/22/ac...n-enforcement/ Now the fun is betting at what point do the ARLNow comments on this article get an anti-bike rant.
    I'm biting my tongue not to write a very sarcastic comment about scofflaw drivers being a menace to society. And then someone's comment about how the law is very ambiguous about what "yield" means made me roll my eyes. Buddy, try figuring out what all the bike laws say in the DMV. Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like

And commenter "Nico Corr" goes for the win with this comment: "Love to see them undertake such an operation to ensure cyclists obey traffic laws as well. I see them on a daily basis in flagrante delicto of right of way and stop light laws."

Post Thanks / Like

And commenter "Nico Corr" goes for the win with this comment: "Love to see them undertake such an operation to ensure cyclists obey traffic laws as well. I see them on a daily basis in flagrante delicto of right of way and stop light laws."
    My commute is not NEARLY that interesting...damn.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, NBC-4 did a piece on the enforcement effort:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...402544025.html

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like not a single cyclist was among the ticketed.

Post Thanks / Like

Great one.
    Last edited by Mariner; 11-30-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: editing