Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles Calendar

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles Calendar

One of the issues discussed in the Existential Thread last year was that of diffused communication channels. Different people and different groups were using different channels. That's not necessarily bad (particularly for individual teams), but I did hear from a lot of people that they missed out on this or that event because they did not know about it. It may be good to keep a centralized calendar of FS events on the FS webpage: happy hours, group rides, coffee clubs, FSLNHPP, etc. Something like a Google calendar that is easily shared publicly might work, although I'm no expert on the best solution. (I do know that the existing calendar on this forum sucks, though).
    If a techie knows how to show the next upcoming events (with a link to the full calendar) on the FS webpage, then all participants would have easy access and they would see it every time they logged in to the leaderboard. Something like this perhaps (stolen from the baltobikeclub web site):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calendar.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	12797

2. Likes hozn, Judd liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean if I post events to the calendar someone might actually come to Europe and ride with me?

4. Likes CBGanimal, americancyclo liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    You mean if I post events to the calendar someone might actually come to Europe and ride with me?
    Better chance if you post events than if you don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Google calendars are great. Once you make them public anyone can subscribe (ical, html, outlook) and from my experience it syncs well with other calendars out there (to phones too). You can also embed the calendar on a webpage to show the whole thing by month, week, agenda.

Happy to volunteer a bit to set this up. I could then add follow managers to add the events, but I'm not sure how public all of the add event options can be (i.e. anyone to add vs. just managers).

Sample: https://calendar.google.com/calendar...erica/New_York

If someone sends me their email address we could test it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. ak baldy never responded to my PM, so I did a Googley-oogley and figured it out.
    I sent an invitation to a number of you to join the Freezing Saddles Official-ish Calendar.

If it looks like it's going to work, then we can invite everyone who signs up. The calendar is public, so it should be viewable and findable by anyone. However, I think you need to be invited in order to post events. Those of you who received an invite may invite others; it's open-ended. I have no problem allowing everyone to post events; I don't think it needs special moderation.

Here are instructions for how to embed on the website. So if some techie wants to grab this and take off hozn's plate, please do.
    https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/41207?hl=en

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of the invitations. However, it wasn't a link to the calendar itself, but an invitation to add it to my Google calendar. There is no way I want to do that, because it would add a bunch of events I don't want to go to, and make me less likely to see the ones I do. Is there a way just to get to the calendar, rather than adding it to mine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I got one of the invitations. However, it wasn't a link to the calendar itself, but an invitation to add it to my Google calendar. There is no way I want to do that, because it would add a bunch of events I don't want to go to, and make me less likely to see the ones I do. Is there a way just to get to the calendar, rather than adding it to mine?
    The way I manage my calendars is I just turn them on and off. I have about 6-7 calendars and I turn them off as necessary. Click where the red circle is. To see just the FS calendar, turn yours off and it on. To just see yours, turn it off and yours on.
    This is just one way to manage them. I do not know if there are other ways.

Name:  calendar off.PNG
Views: 289
Size:  4.6 KBName:  calendar on.PNG
Views: 289
Size:  3.1 KB

Also, if it gets embedded on the FS website, then presumably it would be accessible from there, at least for viewing.
    Last edited by Steve O; 11-29-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is the correct link to the Official-ish calendar.

https://calendar.google.com/calendar...erica/New_York

I will send an invitation to all the registrants I have not yet sent one to once registration fills up. The calendar, though, is public, which means anyone may view it.
    Last edited by Steve O; 12-16-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have now shared the Google calendar with all the email addresses of the officially registered players.

Not everyone is familiar with how to use a Google calendar, so there have been some boo-boos. Specifically, some have been deleting events. Note that if you delete an event in a shared calendar like this, it is deleted for everyone, not just you. (for instructions on how to use a shared Google calendar, click here)

I have given everyone total rights to add, edit, delete and otherwise alter the calendar, including sharing with new people. I did this because I would like it to be crowd-sourced, and because I don't want to have to moderate everything myself. I believe there will be a shake-out period as people figure it out.

In the meanwhile, you should now have access to the Freezing Saddles Official-ish Calendar. If you want to use a different email address, then share the calendar with yourself at the other address (or PM me with the correct email address if that confuses you). Feel free to add pertinent events to the calendar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I have now shared the Google calendar with all the email addresses of the officially registered players.

Not everyone is familiar with how to use a Google calendar, so there have been some boo-boos. Specifically, some have been deleting events. Note that if you delete an event in a shared calendar like this, it is deleted for everyone, not just you. (for instructions on how to use a shared Google calendar, click here)

I have given everyone total rights to add, edit, delete and otherwise alter the calendar, including sharing with new people. I did this because I would like it to be crowd-sourced, and because I don't want to have to moderate everything myself. I believe there will be a shake-out period as people figure it out.

In the meanwhile, you should now have access to the Freezing Saddles Official-ish Calendar. If you want to use a different email address, then share the calendar with yourself at the other address (or PM me with the correct email address if that confuses you). Feel free to add pertinent events to the calendar.
    Why does Vienna Thursday Coffee Club keep meeting at both 7:10 and 7:15 on the same day?