Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistic % of days available for biking to work due to weather

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    • 93% of winter days had a high above freezing
    • 66% of winter days had a low above freezing
    Good info, but you make me think we need to change the name to "Kinda Cold Saddles"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Good info, but you make me think we need to change the name to "Kinda Cold Saddles"
    GREAT POINT. Please start appropriate thread for discussion.

3. Likes ShawnoftheDread, Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natalya Murphy View Post
    what percentage
    100%

Last edited by rcannon100; 11-07-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Seriously. The answer isnt so much the weather conditions - its what investment you want to make in gear.

5. Likes Judd, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can easily ride every day from March through December. January and Feb are when the snow generally hits, and then it depends on how much risk your husband is willing to take and his comfort on ice, plus the route to work. I'm a cold weather wuss (although getting better...slowly) and I ride pretty consistently from March through December. I think once over the past 3-4 years I've had to modify my commute thanks to a thunderstorm, and all that required was leaving work 30 min later than I wanted to.

It's always good to have a second commute option though--for days you need to haul in baked goods, fragile items, or you just cant deal with riding for whatever reason.

Post Thanks / Like

My yardstick is how many portals to Hell the WTOP weathercasters say have opened for that day. If it's three or less, it's good for riding.

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no bad weather only bad gear.

10. Likes FFX_Hinterlands liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As many here have indicated, it depends on your route and your willingness (pigheadedness?) to ride in the different conditions. And having the right gear.

For the first 1-2 weeks of my regular commuting, I wasn't going if the winds were predicted to be high or heavy rain was predicted. I gave that up by the end of the 2nd week because the predictions were not accurate for the times I was cycling and in the end, none of the conditions were that bad for cycling. For all the days I went to the office, I was able to bike in (except when the car was needed for other things, like meetings elsewhere in the state), so about 100% for me.

With rain gear, only the thunderstorms were of concern and typically I (a) remained at work for 30-60 min/left 30 min early to avoid, (b) missed them entirely, or (c) got slammed on the ride and hid under a bridge or chanced the last three blocks home (one ride home I managed to just skirt the storm to get drenched waiting to cross a major road half a block from home).

Cycling through the winter is pretty straight forward on some of the trails since they get treated and plowed (Custis). We had a dangerous 1-2inches of snow two nights before a blizzard this year that had the roads at a standstill during evening rush-hour (it packed down quickly and was VERY slick) that I didn't even notice until I had to get off the trails near my destination. And the next morning I decided that biking would be much safer and quicker than the roads - and I was right! It took 5-10 min longer (and I took the W&OD since the hills are less steep than Custis) since I was slowing for the crunchy icy bits and passing a long line of cars near the office that was not moving; co-workers who drove took nearly an hour longer just due to the slick roads.

Oh, and the people on this forum are great for reporting conditions and warnings, so always check before heading out on iffy days. (and remember to provide your own report if no one else has)
    And some folks on the forum go and shovel the trails too.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

In the seven years I was a bike commuter in the DC area, I missed two days because of weather (ice) and both times it turned out I cold have made it in. I was a federal employee and did not fail to go to work on the "liberal leave" days, but would take advantage of the delayed start. My house is near East Falls Church and I was working in Rosslyn. While I did have an easy off street route, before Arlington started clearing the Curtis Trail, the Washington/Clarendon/Wilson Blvd corridor was a priority for snow clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I would only ride in fair weather. Then I started noticing even on days with rain, my commute times of of day were often dry. That's when I just started riding every day and dealt with what weather was thrown at me.

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Rule 9