Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Car running pedestrian light on W&OD crossing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Car running pedestrian light on W&OD crossing

On Saturday, 5 Nov 2016, at approximately 4:10pm my wife was riding east on the W&OD trail. As she approached Old Reston Ave, the crossing light was in her favor. As she entered the crosswalk, a southbound car went through the red light and almost hit her. The only reason that she wasn't it is because she quickly swerved to the right. The car did not stop. My wife and a witness (another biker) followed the car to the gas station at the corner of Old Reston Ave and Sunset Hills Dr. The driver said that he had the right of way because he was making a "right turn on red". The turn into the gas station is approximately 10 yards past the cross walk and 30 yards past the traffic light. My wife took a picture of the license plate and has the contact information for the witness.

Not sure what action we should take, if any.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Glad she was okay. I would definitely contact the police; maybe even go in person and ask a cop to have a chat with the driver. They can't issue a citation (unless cameras picked it up) but maybe the police will realize that this driver does not have a basic understanding of driving laws and needs a visit from law enforcement for some "education." Fingers crossed.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also call the police. Anecdotally, I have seen a few drivers run that light. Maybe because it is (kinda) new or maybe there aren't good sight lines or they are just looking ahead to try to make the light at Sunset Hills? It's worth waiting there to make sure the road is clear and/or the cars see you. (But definitely report that; there is no "right on red" into the gas station -- that is ridiculous.)

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't expect them to go "have a chat" with the driver, but definitely report it. Enough reports of issues at an intersection & they should step up presence (and ideally enforcement) at the location.

Still, don't expect much; earlier this year at the intersection of Shirlington RD & S Four Mile Run Drive I had a very near miss with a silver minivan that never slowed down making a right on red onto Four Mile Run Dr while I had right of way (to include a lit cross now light) right in front of an ACPD cop sitting in his cruiser (who I'm guessing was there to catch red light runners & speeders) didn't do squat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I would also call the police. Anecdotally, I have seen a few drivers run that light. Maybe because it is (kinda) new or maybe there aren't good sight lines or they are just looking ahead to try to make the light at Sunset Hills? It's worth waiting there to make sure the road is clear and/or the cars see you. (But definitely report that; there is no "right on red" into the gas station -- that is ridiculous.)
    Even if there were a road there where one could go right on red, a right-on-red driver must still come to a full stop and does not have the right of way over someone going straight on the green. I agree that the sight lines for the driver there are not good, but ...
    Last edited by ursus; 11-07-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: changed "were" to "where"

6. 11-06-2016, 08:58 PM

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFHokie View Post
    Still, don't expect much; earlier this year at the intersection of Shirlington RD & S Four Mile Run Drive I had a very near miss with a silver minivan that never slowed down making a right on red onto Four Mile Run Dr while I had right of way (to include a lit cross now light) right in front of an ACPD cop sitting in his cruiser (who I'm guessing was there to catch red light runners & speeders) didn't do squat.
    It's probably too late, but PLEASE report these sorts of incidents. Especially if you can get the number of the car. Police will have a chat with an officer who isn't doing his job.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to cross that intersection as part of my daily commute, and I can definitely say that cars running the red is pretty frequent there. Its one of those that I always make sure cars are gonna stop no matter what the crossing signal says (and even then you have occasional close calls).

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at street view. I do not see how anyone could interpret this as not running a red light. Amazing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old reston.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	12701
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old reston2.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	12702
    Last edited by Steve O; 11-07-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added satellite view

Post Thanks / Like

Default Police Report

We called the Fairfax County none emergency number. They sent an officer to our house. Basically, the officer said that there was nothing that he could do because he did not witness the driver running the red light. They did not fill out a report or record the tag or witness information. The officer said that Barbara did the right thing by not confronting the driver -- he seemed very much attuned to confrontations leading to violence and referred to the recent situation where a driver fired a gun at another driver on the beltway during a road-rage incident.