Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legal or not legal? You be the judge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brokespoke View Post
    Yeesh.

I have a question though: after almost t-boning a Mercedes SUV this morning because she blew a stop sign, I'm thinking about getting a camera. What do people use? Also, what made you decide to get one yourself?
    I use a Cycliq Fly12 on the front, and a Cycliq Fly6 on the back. They double as a headlight and tail light. And they are made for the purpose, so they have features like turning off an hour after an accident (so they won't overwrite the footage of the accident).

Post Thanks / Like

Have you shown the video to Alexandria PD ? They may go out and have a conversation with the driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by excimer34 View Post
    Nevermind the timestamp on this video. It occurred on 11/3/16 at approximately 5:30 pm. The city of Alexandria this week repainted the bike lane at Commonwealth Ave and E Glebe Road. They even painted it green, ironically enough, to increase visibility. That didn't stop Virginia plate WTR 5952 from using the bike lane to swing around stopped traffic. I didn't die, so that's good.
    Illegal. It would be illegal whether there was a bike lane or not, as there is only one lane of traffic, and it is illegal to pass on the right. Drivers do it all the time anyway.

I've come to expect maneuvers like that. Always anticipate what vehicles will do, and in this case, WTR 5952 was obviously not slowing for the stopped traffic ahead turning left on E Glebe. There was only one maneuver that driver could make.

Others mentioned a Contour. I use a Contour Roam 3, which as indicated is waterproof (it's actually underwater rated). It also kind of looks like a light (and not a GoPro!), so it has subtlety working for it. You can also pair it with your Android or iPhone, and get a rear-facing cam for travel, handy to see what's happening behind you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    a firm open handed slap on the back quarter of the car would have been my response...
    Ugh! That's a good way to end up sprawled on the pavement!