Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: PAL Banner Ideas

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default PAL Banner Ideas

    Hey all-
    You have probably seen the PAL trailer around Arlington- and you have seen the messages " PALS don't text and drive" ect.
    WELL- some exciting news- we are getting a new style of trailers, which means we need some new- or not so new messages for these banners. Does anyone have any great ideas? SPANISH LANGUAGE MESSAGES especially appreciated.
    Your arlington PAL ambassador,
    Annmarie

  2. #2
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Drive or walk or bike
    Manejar o caminar o bicicleta

    However you get there
    Como lo dices

    Look out for each other
    Todos llegaremos allí seguros

    [Full disclosure: my Spanish sucks and I had to ask Google for help.]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,090
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    [Full disclosure: my Spanish sucks and I had to ask Google for help.]
    Best to run it by a native speaker. You wouldn't want to accidentally impugn anyone's gender identity or something.

    After all, the Chevy Nova sold terribly in Latin America.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Best to run it by a native speaker.
    Especially since "Como lo dices" is more like "However you [familiar you] say it" and you probably want more of "how you travel" ("Como lo viaja"). And manejar vs conducir will depend a bit on where the folks are from (as, in fact, the word for car itself changes depending on where you are). (Note: My Spanish is rusty, except for ordering food and site seeing.)

  5. #5
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Especially since "Como lo dices" is more like "However you [familiar you] say it"
    Actually, that one I know, and that's what I meant -- the last two were not translations of each other.

    However you travel
    However you say it (but in Spanish)

    Look out for each other
    And we'll all get there safely (but in Spanish)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Best to run it by a native speaker. You wouldn't want to accidentally impugn anyone's gender identity or something.

    After all, the Chevy Nova sold terribly in Latin America.
    Good sentiment, bad example: http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,090
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    Busted.

    Are you this much fun at CCs and HHs, too?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Actually, that one I know, and that's what I meant -- the last two were not translations of each other.

    However you travel
    However you say it (but in Spanish)

    Look out for each other
    And we'll all get there safely (but in Spanish)
    Ah, well, if they weren't supposed to be translations, then that is different. I would still check with someone on the use of manejar. I know that I was taught Spanish that is used in Spain and there, it would be conducir, so I found that line very odd. I know that different Latin American countries have different usage and manejar is used in some places, some use both but there is a subtle distinction in usage. Although I think both are typically understood. If different phrases are used, they would need different checks (e.g., using "car" in one will need something that is at least recognized by most since it varies more).

  9. #9
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Call Edgar

  10. #10
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Ah, well, if they weren't supposed to be translations, then that is different. I would still check with someone on the use of manejar. I know that I was taught Spanish that is used in Spain and there, it would be conducir, so I found that line very odd. I know that different Latin American countries have different usage and manejar is used in some places, some use both but there is a subtle distinction in usage. Although I think both are typically understood. If different phrases are used, they would need different checks (e.g., using "car" in one will need something that is at least recognized by most since it varies more).
    My daughter is in a bilingual school... but is only in K. Anyway, I have lots of avenues for help, even if they don't ride on the back of my bike every morning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •