Two events are in need of volunteers tomorrow (Saturday). If you're out and about, consider stopping by while you're on the trails. Even 45 minutes of your time would be much appreciated. There's no commitment to a long term relationship. I was digging holes with these guys last week in another park and was thrilled to be referred to as the "young and in shape" one. That does not happen to me on the Arlington Hill Ride.

Plant Trees in Alexandria in the a.m.
Saturday, October 29, from 9am-1pm, plant trees to enhance the tree canopy in Four Mile Run Park, with guidance and support from Trees Alexandria and Alexandria/Arlington TreeStewards. http://www.fourmilerun.org/p/events.html

Protect Trees in Arlington in the p.m.
"Please come out to Bluemont Park on Saturday Oct. 29, 2-4pm. Please wear long pants to protect yourself from poison ivy and insects and bring clippers and gloves. Sunscreen, insect repellent, and water is also advisable. I will have some extra clippers and hand saws available.

The woodland at Bluemont Park will be undergoing a major restoration effort likely beginning in the late fall through our neighborhood conservation project, when County contractors will drastically reduce the invasive non-native plants that are been overgrowing the natural areas of the park. The non-native trees, bushes, vines, and ground cover will be killed or removed. But now, volunteers are needed to protect our magnificent trees by cutting the ivy at the base of trees.

I am calling for volunteers to help protect the beautiful and magnificent trees growing in the Bluemont Park woodland from being overwhelmed by English ivy. We will meet in the wooded area uphill from the 1st hole tee of the disc golf course hole and south from the basketball court. Look for the orange cone and shout if you canít see me. We will work southeastward along the slope through the woods towards Arlington Boulevard. All we need to do is cut the ivy at the base of the trees where the ivy climbs, in order to kill it.

At our last workday, four volunteers joined me in cutting ivy from almost 100 trees, bringing our total number of trees freed from ivy to 411!"