Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Close call....always when you don't have the camera on

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alexandria (Groveton)
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Close call....always when you don't have the camera on

    This morning I was coming down Beacon Hill Rd and almost got plowed into the curb by a van. Basically heading toward the river (eastbound) in the bike lane, several cars and a van decided to move over from the vehicular lane into the bike lane to get ahead of the turning traffic onto Quander (West Potomac HS is off Quander to the left, so it backs up in the mornings around the beginning of school hours). I see this all the time, but usually the cars are smart enough to let me go rather than nearly run into me.

    I'll probably shoot the cops a note because this happens almost every morning. I know a few others of you bike it too. And I would hate for one of us to get hit.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7711...7i13312!8i6656

    That's the part I'm referencing, although the google earth image doesn't show the bike lanes (they have since removed the right most lane there and made bike lanes on both sides (they temporarily end up by the stoplight where it's sharrows for maybe 50 yards or so).

  2. #2
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post

    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7711...7i13312!8i6656

    That's the part I'm referencing, although the google earth image doesn't show the bike lanes (they have since removed the right most lane there and made bike lanes on both sides (they temporarily end up by the stoplight where it's sharrows for maybe 50 yards or so).
    The satellite view shows the bike lane:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7711.../data=!3m1!1e3

  3. #3
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    The satellite view shows the bike lane:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7711.../data=!3m1!1e3
    It also shows "Broccoli the Magic Clown," just in time for Halloween and to help stoke the national frenzy over terrifying clowns. Be sure to stay on Beacon Hill and don't turn right on Kenyon Drive!

    Name:  broccoli.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  83.0 KB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is a database for close calls and punishments passes. One of the goals is to track drivers who have a history of cutting off or passing too close to cyclists in case they injure someone. http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/...e-calls_423743

  5. #5
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    ALX
    Posts
    3,712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've been keeping my camera off in the mornings just because it's dark now...I guess maybe I should just use it anyway.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I've been keeping my camera off in the mornings just because it's dark now...I guess maybe I should just use it anyway.
    I suggest keeping your camera on at all times while riding, even at night. After your next ride in the dark, watch some of the footage and see if you can read any license plates of cars around you. Sometimes your headlight will provide just enough light to read the license plate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    1,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I suggest keeping your camera on at all times while riding, even at night. After your next ride in the dark, watch some of the footage and see if you can read any license plates of cars around you. Sometimes your headlight will provide just enough light to read the license plate.
    What I do is loudly recite the license plate number of the car, so the audio may pick it up even if video does not. I also do that if a driver is being aggressive, along with an audible observation that the miscreant is being filmed and that the footage may be turned over to the authorities.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •