Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: parkingdirty.com - Crowdsourcing Arlington's Blocked Bike Lanes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the all the feedback guys. My life's busyness and stress level is set to 11 right now, but once things calm down (or if I just need a break) I'll incorporate your comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Proof that Southbound Crystal Drive has a double parking lane rather than a bike lane. More than 60% each day. It always looked like that from offices overlooking it, but I did not spend all day looking out the window. Really.
    Clarendon is bad too (25% was the "best" day), but not as consistently.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a wide work vehicle parked all day with a couple wheels in the bike lane, and some cones set out at the bumpers (in the bike lane) is that a blockage or not? I kept waffling on how to answer in this situation which seems to be very common at that Clarendon spot. When there's no traffic nearby it's free and easy to avoid but if there is heavy traffic it's a scary situation...

Unrelated moment of Zen:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	block.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	12811

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    If there is a wide work vehicle parked all day with a couple wheels in the bike lane, and some cones set out at the bumpers (in the bike lane) is that a blockage or not? I kept waffling on how to answer in this situation which seems to be very common at that Clarendon spot. When there's no traffic nearby it's free and easy to avoid but if there is heavy traffic it's a scary situation...
    I just went through a bunch of such images (one is a work vehicle and another is a badly parked car that I wasn't at first sure was in the process of parking). I started them out as "unsure", but once it was a few and the vehicle hadn't moved, I have to say it is blocked. I run into this on Fairfax Dr both by the metro station (both sides of the street - the Metro buses are usually there) and by the construction site by Glebe. As a cyclist, I need to go into the travel lane or very, very carefully pass while in the bike lane. The latter is not preferred for fear of being clipped, so I would say, "Yes, the lane is blocked."

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post

Name:	block.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	12811
    I've just downloaded that photo to my computer and I'm going to submit it the comments in news articles where people are complaining about scofflaw cyclists. I mean for real people?!

The only way I can see fixing the situation is to install a protected bike lane. Oh please Santa, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight's a "Let's nap and chillax" kinda night, so I spent some time going through pics, and I've got a new record! At first, when I saw 5 in a row I said "Yahtzee!" until seeing a few images later with 6 in a row.

Here is the Crystal Drive double-parking lane on 9/22/16 around 11:40-11:45 am:

Name:	bikeLaneBlocked1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	12814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikeLaneBlocked2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	12815

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I've just downloaded that photo to my computer and I'm going to submit it the comments in news articles where people are complaining about scofflaw cyclists. I mean for real people?!

The only way I can see fixing the situation is to install a protected bike lane. Oh please Santa, please!
    I actually think removing the bike lane and replacing it with a sharrow would reduce the issue. People are mostly reluctant to park in a traffic lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I actually think removing the bike lane and replacing it with a sharrow would reduce the issue. People are mostly reluctant to park in a traffic lane.
    Unfortunately not in that location. They were double parking there long before the bike lane. No one wants to go into a parking garage and pay a fortune (something like $6/hr) to pick-up lunch.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Unfortunately not in that location. They were double parking there long before the bike lane. No one wants to go into a parking garage and pay a fortune (something like $6/hr) to pick-up lunch.
    Another great idea destroyed by historical knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk