Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: parkingdirty.com - Crowdsourcing Arlington's Blocked Bike Lanes

Post Thanks / Like

Bike lane? What bike lane? It's often so blocked it forces the two lane road into a one lane road.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	12620

Does this dumbass guy going the wrong way count as a block? aheee
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	12621

Post Thanks / Like

I was a little unclear how to draw a line for partially blocked - as in the parked and driverless car is over the line (I might have said blocked but they weren't completely so). Also, wasn't sure about buses that were over the dashed line but also in the dark line boxed out bike lane.

Cool tool. Thanks.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't count as blocked when cars were clearly passing over the lane to park or unpark. I think that's just how it is for an unprotected bike lane. I also did not count it blocked when the bus was stopped to board or de-board passengers, since it was doing exactly what buses are supposed to do.

That said, the bus was "blocking" the lane, so which is it?

Parked cars that were a little on the line I was generously lenient on. Clearly encroaching on the lane, not.

This is definitely cool. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I didn't count as blocked when cars were clearly passing over the lane to park or unpark. I think that's just how it is for an unprotected bike lane. I also did not count it blocked when the bus was stopped to board or de-board passengers, since it was doing exactly what buses are supposed to do.

That said, the bus was "blocking" the lane, so which is it?

Parked cars that were a little on the line I was generously lenient on. Clearly encroaching on the lane, not.
    I haven't participated yet, but I would count all of those cases as blocked.

The point is to calculate what fraction of the day would compel a cyclist to merge into the general travel lane in order to traverse the area. The in-process parkers and stopped buses may each have a small effect individually, but they do add up. Also, these lanes are both narrow enough that even the slightest encroachment over the line by a parked or idling vehicle effectively blocks them: I always end up merging into traffic to get around such vehicles because the alternative is the door zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice application!

1) I wish there were more immediate feedback after tapping, and when the new, sometimes very similar, image is ready. Maybe have the image opacity drop a bunch until the new image is loaded?

2) Clarendon and Wayne: the bike lane is entirely in the top right quadrant. It would be nice if you could grab a double resolution image and only use the top right so it'd be easier to analyze.

3) I was going to suggest time-lapse animations (3 frames showing a 10s span?) but now like scout's argument that even clearly temporary blockages should be counted as obstructions.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet we could pool our resources and hire a few trials pros to ride around town going up and over all cars blocking the bike lanes. Maybe do a few hops on each roof and hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this an effective presentation for the results?

Crystal Drive 2016-09-21
    Crystal Drive 2016-09-28

Clarendon Blvd 2016-09-21

9. Likes btj, dasgeh, huskerdont, Sunyata, bobco85 liked this post
    ELITE LeprosyStudyGroup ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty good. Maybe move the big white spaces with the time out of the slider so you get a really good idea of when a lane is blocked for hours at a time. It also looks like there aren't pictures presented for when the lane isn't blocked. I'd kind of like to see this. It would also be cool if there was a play button that would cause all the pictures to cycle through from the start of the day to the end of the day. It would provide a good quick view of what a day in the life of a blocked bike lane is like.

I appreciate you putting this together. It seems like it's going to be a great advocacy tool. I was on Crystal Drive going northbound tonight and there were four cars parked in the bike lane, including a Park Service Police vehicle. Not exactly sure what business the Park Service had on Crystal Drive unless they've annexed the water park.

11. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 12644Very cool! Awesome data.

I think the presentation is great, but I agree with Judd that it might have more visual impact if you move out the "hour" markers to the right or left of the bar, and so the green/red becomes contiguous.

Also, given that the screen is wider vertically and that you're displaying a timeline, perhaps a vertical bar is worth trying out?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Guus; 10-27-2016 at 09:17 AM.

13. Likes Judd, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very nice. The colored bar clearly shows that the lane is blocked for large periods of time, which is what is needed to show people who make decisions.

Comments:
    For the legend in the gray bar, I believe you mean "data not yet final" ("note" doesn't make too much sense).

On 9/21 for Crystal City, the 1300-1400 hour seems to be lacking - I only see a thin red line.

Orientation of the timeline; Hmm, depending on what medium you are using to present, a horizontal graph rather than vertical (as per Guus) might make more sense. I usually plot time on the horizontal.

I was having problems seeing the "clear" images, but that may have had more to do with not being able to hover my mouse over such a narrow line and have the computer recognize it - and that for the later times in the day, the image was off the top of my screen when I hovered (another reason to make time horizontal). Some locations definitely provided me with a "broken" image symbol so maybe there are multiple issues. The idea of stepping through the images is a good one, although I know any kind of replay takes a bit of work to put together and easily go forwards and backwards in time as someone is likely to try to do.