Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: parkingdirty.com - Crowdsourcing Arlington's Blocked Bike Lanes

Post Thanks / Like

Default parkingdirty.com - Crowdsourcing Arlington's Blocked Bike Lanes

How often are Arlington's bike lanes blocked? Let's quantify it.

1) Go to http://parkingdirty.com/help
    2) You'll be shown a photo of an Arlington bike lane and asked if it's blocked. Pick Yes, No or Unsure.
    3) Repeat as often as you've got time.

Should work on PC, Phone, Tablet, whatever. Waiting for the bus or waiting for your fellow coffee-club-ers to arrive? Categorize a couple of photos to pass the time and make a difference in your community.

The data will be compiled, analyzed, & used to advocate for better bike lane designs and increased parking enforcement. Found a bug? Got an idea to make it better? Let me know!

2. Likes btj, Sunyata, KLizotte, EasyRider, huskerdont and 6 others liked this post
    ELITE Tim Kelley ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I played around with it for a minute or two. It's really easy to go through a bunch of photos, and sadly, there are a LOT of "yes" answers to the "Is this bike lane blocked?" question showing everyone's favorite loading zone- er, I mean, Crystal Drive bike lane.

Will other bike lane traffic cams be featured?

Note: of my time going through the images, my record for number of simultaneous bike lane blockers has been 6 vehicles so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Will other bike lane traffic cams be featured?
    I have data on 4 spots. I have two of them "prioritized" right now since data for an entire day for one lane is more useful than data for a couple hours spread across multiple lanes. So if you continue to click through, you'll likely get some photos of Clarendon Blvd in front of the County building as well. You won't get Hayes by Pentagon City mall or Joyce by Pentagon Row until I've got full day data for at least two days for Crystal Dr & Clarendon Blvd.
    Last edited by chris_s; 10-25-2016 at 10:10 AM.

5. Likes KLizotte, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    there are a LOT of "yes" answers to the "Is this bike lane blocked?" question
    Responses so far this morning: 653 YES, 415 NO, 42 UNSURE

7. Likes dasgeh, bobco85 liked this post
  8. 10-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Reason
    dupe

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Can you write a program so that when a picture of Crystal Drive is shown it automatically clicks yes for me?

It was about two thirds blocked after 5 minutes of clicking including this fourfer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome. The view switching back and forth every picture between the two streets is starting to give me a headache tho so I'm gonna stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    This is awesome. The view switching back and forth every picture between the two streets is starting to give me a headache tho so I'm gonna stop.
    I had it focused more heavily on one camera at a time initially and got tons of people asking what they needed to do to see a different spot so I switched it up. I agree going back and forth every picture is annoying. I need to find a good algorithm to give you like 5 in a row of one camera and then 5 in a row of the next.

Post Thanks / Like

Some preliminary results are coming in and...wow. Just wow.

Take this with a grain of salt, as many of those classifications haven't yet been verified by a 2nd person, but...

That spot on Crystal Dr blocked around 62% of the day on 9/21/2016 (day being defined in this instance as 7am-7pm)

13. Likes dasgeh, KLizotte, Guus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Some preliminary results are coming in and...wow. Just wow.

Take this with a grain of salt, as many of those classifications haven't yet been verified by a 2nd person, but...

That spot on Crystal Dr blocked around 62% of the day on 9/21/2016 (day being defined in this instance as 7am-7pm)
    Seems kind of low to me. I used to work just above that area and would look out the window several times during the day. I rarely found the bike lane completely free. Must have been the rain apparent in the pictures keeping the drivers from venturing on the roads. Those car lanes can be pretty dangerous in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

More preliminary results, same "grain of salt" warning applies as above - many classifications haven't been confirmed by a second user:

Clarendon Blvd @ Wayne blocked around 56% of the day on 9/21/2016 (day being defined in this instance as 7am-7pm).

16. Likes dasgeh, Guus liked this post