Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Bike smushed while on a friend's car rack

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bike smushed while on a friend's car rack

    Well this is a bummer. Riding home and at a rest stop on NJ tpk in a friend's car. One bike (mine..which is 2 mos. Old) was on the bike rack on the back. Our car and another backed into each other pretty hard. My bike's pedal and maybe front fork were hit...pedal and arm are bent. Not sure about other damage.
    I guess ill take it to my LBS where i bought it and see how much it'll be to fix it. I guess i could make a claim under homeowners or his ins.co. thoughts?



    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    District
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm real sorry to learn about this. I get nervous about using my trunk carrier for this exact reason. No to mention the effect of exposing the bicycle to bad weather and flying debris.

    You can check your homeowner's insurance policy to find out if it covers damage to your bicycle, but this sounds like a car accident -- damage to both cars must have happened -- so you can also probably make a claim under your automobile insurance. There is most likely a deductible either way.

    Good luck to you!

    Bob

  3. #3
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hopefully it is just the crank arm (non-drive?) and frame didn't bend, etc. If it is just the crank arm and fork you might be less than your deductible. Personally I wouldn't file a homeowner's claim for something that cost less than thousands of dollars due to likelihood of premiums increasing or insurer refusing to renew coverage. But I may be paranoid. I might file an auto claim, if costs were significantly above my deductible.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    Judd's Avatar
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh no! I had a bike get smooshed when I was rear-ended. In my case, it bent the crank arm on the drive side, so the crank had to be replaced. If I remember correctly, it cost me about 80 bucks to replace (caveat: cheap hybrid bike and repair done in Illinois where everything is cheaper). In my case, the other driver was at fault and she was more than happy to write a check rather than deal with insurance.

    It sounds like insurance is tricker in your case since it's a case of two cars backing into each other. Unless there's some frame damage, the cost of repair is likely to be under a reasonable deductible amount. Definitely get a mechanic to take a look and assess what was damaged.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Springfield VA
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Hopefully it is just the crank arm (non-drive?) and frame didn't bend, etc. If it is just the crank arm and fork you might be less than your deductible. Personally I wouldn't file a homeowner's claim for something that cost less than thousands of dollars due to likelihood of premiums increasing or insurer refusing to renew coverage. But I may be paranoid. I might file an auto claim, if costs were significantly above my deductible.
    When my bike was stolen in 2000, I made a claim on my homeowners insurance. A year or two before that, I had also called about possible hail damage to the roof , but since there wasn't any damage, I didn't collect any money. But the bike and the roof counted as two claims, and my homeowners insurance was cancelled. After that, it was a bit of a hassle finding a new policy.

  6. #6
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I was told not to even call our broker with hypothetical questions! So basically I will only use the homeowners insurance for things on the scale of house burning down, crushed by a tree or flooding (well, flood insurance for that).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Hopefully it is just the crank arm (non-drive?) and frame didn't bend, etc. If it is just the crank arm and fork you might be less than your deductible. Personally I wouldn't file a homeowner's claim for something that cost less than thousands of dollars due to likelihood of premiums increasing or insurer refusing to renew coverage. But I may be paranoid. I might file an auto claim, if costs were significantly above my deductible.

    Good luck!
    Thanks. Im not sure yetabt other damage. Not planning to file homeowners but they did end up calling police (other guy was driving for work) and so i think i'll get my est and contact his ins.co.

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Oh no! I had a bike get smooshed when I was rear-ended. In my case, it bent the crank arm on the drive side, so the crank had to be replaced. If I remember correctly, it cost me about 80 bucks to replace (caveat: cheap hybrid bike and repair done in Illinois where everything is cheaper). In my case, the other driver was at fault and she was more than happy to write a check rather than deal with insurance.

    It sounds like insurance is tricker in your case since it's a case of two cars backing into each other. Unless there's some frame damage, the cost of repair is likely to be under a reasonable deductible amount. Definitely get a mechanic to take a look and assess what was damaged.
    Thanks Judd.

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    District
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Since the accident happened in New Jersey -- and I presume you are not a New Jersey resident -- it might be good to study their auto insurance requirements.

    http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division...rance/auto.htm

    As seems to be a problem with many government agencies, their web pages present so much detail, with so little consumer-friendly information, that you have to sift through the content and decide what makes sense and applies to you. In the above site, the links under the "Consumer Guides" section seem worth looking at. I guess if I were involved in a car accident there I'd consult an attorney for help in dealing with any liability issues. Just because I don't know the laws there and I'd want to be ready to deal with any issues.

    Bob

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobCochran View Post
    Since the accident happened in New Jersey -- and I presume you are not a New Jersey resident -- it might be good to study their auto insurance requirements.

    http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division...rance/auto.htm

    As seems to be a problem with many government agencies, their web pages present so much detail, with so little consumer-friendly information, that you have to sift through the content and decide what makes sense and applies to you. In the above site, the links under the "Consumer Guides" section seem worth looking at. I guess if I were involved in a car accident there I'd consult an attorney for help in dealing with any liability issues. Just because I don't know the laws there and I'd want to be ready to deal with any issues.

    Bob
    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •