Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falls Church - Leesburg Pike incident involving curb cut

Post Thanks / Like

Default Falls Church - Leesburg Pike incident involving curb cut

Relaying some info on an event involving the spouse of a coworker.

On Sunday, 10/9, a cyclist was attempting to enter the sidewalk from the road to cut through Rite Aid and minimize travel on Route 7. This is the location (in front of the party supplies store, near the wooden bridge). The curb cut (?) is about an inch or so. He did not turn sharply enough, caught his wheel while being clipped in, and went down, breaking his right arm such that surgery and hospitalization were required. Passersby provided assistance.
    Last edited by elbows; 10-18-2016 at 12:05 PM.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

All driveways and even ramps onto sidewalks always seem to have a "lip". I have to go over one every time I enter my apartment building's driveway and find it infuriating. Can the civil engineers among us explain why they exist? Are they really necessary? Why can't they just smooth out the concrete and/or asphalt so that the transition is smooth?

And for the record, I think Arlington County should smooth out the "lip" at the entrance to the Crystal City tunnel from Crystal Drive. It is dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Relaying some info on an event involving the spouse of a coworker.

On Sunday, 10/9, a cyclist was attempting to enter the sidewalk from the road to cut through Rite Aid and minimize travel on Route 7. This is the location (in front of the party supplies store, near the wooden bridge). The curb cut (?) is about an inch or so. He did not turn sharply enough, caught his wheel while being clipped in, and went down, breaking his right arm such that surgery and hospitalization were required. Passersby provided assistance.
    Curb cuts seems to be a common place for falls and injuries--I've had my share of near misses and falls on them, and I see people down every few months at a couple others on my commute. They are slippery, and those lips can be killer if you hit it just a little bit off, especially if you're going at an angle...I now am VERY cautious by them and go pretty slow when going on and off curb cuts.

I hope your coworkers spouse heals soon. I'm glad someone stopped to help him!

Post Thanks / Like

Being able to pick up and control your front end is a great skill to have - especially around curb cuts like this. I never just roll over them anymore - if it looks like it's got any height, I lift the front wheel. It makes for a much smoother transition.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Being able to pick up and control your front end is a great skill to have - especially around curb cuts like this. I never just roll over them anymore - if it looks like it's got any height, I lift the front wheel. It makes for a much smoother transition.

I need to learn that trick.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Can you bunny hop this?

Name:  DSCN1356[1].jpg
Views: 187
Size:  97.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    All driveways and even ramps onto sidewalks always seem to have a "lip". I have to go over one every time I enter my apartment building's driveway and find it infuriating. Can the civil engineers among us explain why they exist? Are they really necessary? Why can't they just smooth out the concrete and/or asphalt so that the transition is smooth?

And for the record, I think Arlington County should smooth out the "lip" at the entrance to the Crystal City tunnel from Crystal Drive. It is dangerous.
    My guess is that if the curb cut isn't prefabricated it is usually poured and positioned prior to the final finishing of the road surface it joins, and if the grade and camber of the final road surface don't happen to meet up perfectly with the other stuff there's not much that can be done at that point. Same problem with manholes etc.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I need to learn that trick.
    Here's a picture I of Tania's curb technique the time that I rode with her:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect many would disagree with me, but I think some people should reconsider their use of clips. I personally know of several recent broken bones that would not have happened IMHO had the person not been clipped in. Everyone needs to make their own risk / reward tradeoff (and I know some people feel that there is no impediment to them from being clipped in). As for myself, I only clip in on a long ride or a race (assuming more to come on that front) and not when riding around town.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I suspect many would disagree with me, but I think some people should reconsider their use of clips. I personally know of several recent broken bones that would not have happened IMHO had the person not been clipped in. Everyone needs to make their own risk / reward tradeoff (and I know some people feel that there is no impediment to them from being clipped in).
    Count me as one who disagrees. I feel much more comfortable and feel like I have more control of my bike while clipped in. I have never met anyone who switched to clipless, got used to it, and then went back.
    I also think it's rare that putting one's foot down will save them, except perhaps at very low speeds. You will still crash; you'll just injure something different. I can easily imagine this same crash occurring, but instead of breaking his arm, he would have (maybe) put his foot down, gotten tangled with his bike, twisted his knee and cracked a rib on the handlebars, tearing the knee's cartilage and also requiring surgery. Your foot does not save you.