Likes Likes:  261
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Happy Anniversary!!

Post Thanks / Like

I started bike commuting in 2007 at the encouragement of a work colleague. I moved to Vancouver, Canada for a job after college and I could barely pay my rent with my low pay at an architecture firm. Trying to find ways to save money, I traded daily bus fare for my momís old Peugeot. My mom is a tiny woman and I had no clue about bike sizing, tire pressure, and that seat posts are adjustable. I started bike commuting in the dead of winter because certain people in my life told me that I was a quitter and would never stick with it. If I couldnít bike in the worst weather, I knew I wouldnít be able to do it when the weather was nice. Bike commuting was liberating and meant I wasnít eating rice and beans every night. Fast forward to grad school in Pittsburgh, cycling was my only way to get to and from campus during odd hours when sane people are sleeping. Fast forward to my summer internship in DC in 2010. I was living in Brookland with no car and the met branch trail was just completed and very scary. Fast forward to now- I started biking because I was too poor to afford public transit. Now I have a much better job and I would not be where I am without the grit, commitment, and determination that cycling has forced me to develop. Everywhere Iíve lived has had this great cycling counter-culture and the people are more real and genuine than anyone youíd meet elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    I still have the button I got at the very first Bike to Work day, and my old permit to bring a bike on Metro when you needed one. I also biked through 20 feet of snow to get to school.
    I joined WABA in 1990 and was a Beta tester for the Bike-on-Metro pilot program, which lasted 6 months, before WAMTA opened it up to the general cycling community (after no one registered a complaint!). I remember having to go to MetroCenter to register for my Bike-on-Metro photo ID and pay $20. I donít know what happened to my ID but it would be a cool piece of D.C. cycling memorabilia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk