Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting through army navy country club, any issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting through army navy country club, any issues?

Hey all. I've read some good tips on cutting through the Army Navy Country Club to get from Nauck to the other side of 395 on this board. I've been commuting down past the Air Force memorial for a few years now, and I have become very tired of the impatient drivers. I don't feel like it's a safe option anymore, unfortunately. Columbia pike hasn't gotten any safer in my opinion.

I live off 18th street, which literally dead ends into ANCC. I never gave it any consideration before, but I've been told that it is acceptable to cut though via memorial drive to get across 395. I commute during regular 9-5 hours several days a week, taking the path next to pentagon that hugs Washington Blvd to the memorial bridge. The only part of my commute that has ever really concerned me is my commute down the pike.

Does anyone have experience with cutting through the army navy country club? Are you comfortable doing it? Do you get glares from anyone, or even stopped? This will give me a much safer commute if possible, -5 least until the pike is given the bike lane it desperately needs Any info is appreciated! Long time lurker on this board.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way as you about being on/crossing Columbia pike and Glebe and their various intersections. The country club is my preferred way to get through that area. I'd say I've gone through there about 20 times over the past 2 years at all times of day/night and I've never gotten any flak for it. It is still posted private property though.

Post Thanks / Like

The road has signage implying that it's private, and it's got a heck of hill if you are westbound, but I've never had anyone give me the side eye. The landscaping crew was pretty friendly on a couple of occasions.

Now, if everyone started using it as a cut through, they might start trying to enforce things...

Strava has a modest number of attempts across several segments: https://www.strava.com/segments/5377602

Post Thanks / Like

Just gotta show them cars on the Pike who's boss. You could take the Bike Boulevard and then ride the sidewalk for the part of the Pike that doesn't have a low stress alternative and then take Orme to Southgate to the Pentagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done it a few times without incident -- a friend was told to "not make a regular habit" of it, but she's done it a bunch of times.

It would be awesome if you could tell the County that they need a better route than the current Pike. There are efforts to get the 12th St bike boulevard extended to meet up with what will be the Hoffman-Boston connector (which will connect H-B ES with that tunnel under 395, which may lead to a slightly-frustrating detour for you) and your support would help. There are plans to build better sidewalks along the Pike, but they are just better sidewalks. You may want to weigh in on whether something better should be considered, at least east of Courthouse. countyboard@arlingtonva.us countymanager@arlingtonva.us

Post Thanks / Like

Just gotta show them cars on the Pike who's boss. You could take the Bike Boulevard and then ride the sidewalk for the part of the Pike that doesn't have a low stress alternative and then take Orme to Southgate to the Pentagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I've cut through the country club without any problems. No one is at either entrance to check on folks. Just be sure to stick to the road and not ride along the golf cart paths! Don't ride super fast (because there are golf carts, people, and lots of speed bumps) and all should be fine. No has ever given me a second glance. I think if cyclist are respectful, don't speed, and just get on with their business no one should object.
    Last edited by KLizotte; 10-06-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I think if cyclist are respectful, don't speed, and just get on with their business no one should object.
    They have objected heavily in the past. The club has been wary of "undesirables" on their bicycles and their skateboards cutting through.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    They have objected heavily in the past. The club has been wary of "undesirables" on their bicycles and their skateboards cutting through.
    Then make sure you are "desirable." That's what I do.

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding of every Washington Post and ArlNow bicycle article I've read the comments on, if you are on a bike, you are automatically undesirable.