Thread: How to get to JHU APL

Default How to get to JHU APL

Hi all-

I'll be visiting the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory this month, near Columbia MD. Biking up there from Alexandria, I'm trying to figure out how to get across/around the Duckett Watershed of the Patuxent River. It appears to be a moat they've installed to defend against invaders from the south :-) What are your experiences with the following options?

- Left hook: New Hampshire Ave/650 -> Ednor Rd -> Brown's Bridge
    - Damn the torpedoes: Old Columbia Pike -> Columbia Pike (Route 29)
    - Right hook: Old Columbia Pike -> 198 -> Brooklyn Bridge Rd -> 7th St -> Stephens Rd -> Gorman Rd

For the left hook, I could save some distance and eliminate travel on MD198 by (a) heading straight up New Hampshire Ave from White Oak, or (b) staying on Old Columbia Pike past the ICC then cutting back over to New Hampshire Ave on Briggs Chaney. Comments on those ideas?

Thanks!

John

I don't know, but will ask a colleague who rides in that area regularly and will report back. If I don't, PM me. -Jeff

If I had to ride this tomorrow (without asking a local for tips), I'd take the Anacostia Trib Trails to Lake Artemesia, the College Park trolley trail to Rhode Island Ave, Sunnyside to Edmonston to Odell to Cedarbrook, Montpelier, Brock Bridge, to Whiskey Bottom (this might get hairy with traffic crossing Route 1) to Gorman.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    If I had to ride this tomorrow (without asking a local for tips), I'd take the Anacostia Trib Trails to Lake Artemesia, the College Park trolley trail to Rhode Island Ave, Sunnyside to Edmonston to Odell to Cedarbrook, Montpelier, Brock Bridge, to Whiskey Bottom (this might get hairy with traffic crossing Route 1) to Gorman.
    I agree this is a pretty good way. I've been as far as Gorman, starting with Odell Road. I can't say I like Brock Bridge Road where it terminates at MD 197. And doing any stretch of Route 1 in that area is hairy indeed.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    Sounds great! Thanks for the idea.