Likes Likes:  97
Dislikes Dislikes:  10
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    It took me 7 years of regularly riding on the MVT wooden bridges, but I finally went down on one.

The final bridge just north of Mount Vernon got me Saturday morning. That bridge for those of you who don't ride it often has a lip, AND requires a turn once you get on it. You also come at it from a slightly curvy downhill. I was heading south, and hit a slick spot from the recent rain and my bike slid out.

I can't remember how I landed since I immediately jumped back up to evaluate my injuries (yay adrenaline, but this is a habit I need to fix in case I really do break something someday), but I do know my palms had bruises. I'm worried I put my hands out to brace myself, but I honestly can't say for sure since it also could be from jerking forward into the hoods when I fell. Both of my knees are bruised, my elbow is torn up (only injury that broke through ALL the layers of skin), and my left shin is torn up. My right hip got it the worst though with a cantaloupe sized bruise and some road rash. Also lots of other random bruising on both my legs.

After falling I got off the trail to evaluate my injuries and my bike, only to watch 2 more cyclists go down on that exact same spot moments later.

My bike's right brake level got shoved over on impact which was an easy fix, but it is now acting up (shifting fine, but when I brake it acts normal, and then suddenly pulls ALL the way in), so it may need to get to the shop to get looked at. Otherwise, my pretty new pink warbird survived without a scratch. I had an ortlieb on the side that went down which I think cushioned the blow a little.

On a positive note, no broken bones, and my garmin watch sent an SOS immediately to my boyfriend when it detected the fall, although he was really alerted due to me screaming for him (he was ahead of me) and not the text. I was able to finish the last 12 miles of the ride, and clean off after. PLUS my expensive new manicure survived the crash!
    That sucks. I'm glad you escaped without (relatively) serious damage, and that you have remained positive. Those wet wooden bridges are more treacherous than some of those rocky trails I mountain bike on!

How did F escape going down? He shoulda warned you!

2. Likes bikesnick, Emm, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    It took me 7 years of regularly riding on the MVT wooden bridges, but I finally went down on one.
    So sorry to read this, but glad you did not get hurt more. Heal quickly.

4. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oof. Posting a "dislike" might give the wrong impression, as may my "like." Whatever, I am glad you have just minor injuries.

6. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

That man hits a small curb, blows 2 tires and goes down hard, and yet somehow gets through actually treacherous conditions with no issue. I have no idea what magic he uses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    That sucks. I'm glad you escaped without (relatively) serious damage, and that you have remained positive. Those wet wooden bridges are more treacherous than some of those rocky trails I mountain bike on!

I ran the whole of the Mt. Vernon Trail Saturday for my #sizzlingsummercentury ride. While so many of us are (understandably) fixated on Trollheim by the T. R. Bridge, I wondered how all these other boardwalk-over-wetland sections would be in the wet. I think I know which area you're referring to- just before Ft. Hunt, with steep and twisty sections between boardwalk.

#Emm, I am grateful for you that even the damage that showed up a day later wasn't worse. Heal up.

Boardwalk that is *diabolical* when wet. Why should this be? If the Powers That Be say, "this cannot be fixed", tell them they are *dead wrong*. It has been. Attached, my image of the causeway between Chincoteague and Assateague Island, VA. *Concrete* planks, cast to look like wood. Much better grip, period. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_175247.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	21595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_175318.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	21596
    Last edited by Starduster; 08-04-2020 at 10:25 AM.

9. Likes ChristoB50 liked this post