Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    This was Monday, 7:15 am. Tough day on that stretch.
    The odd thing I noticed was that the ends of the Trollheim were dry on Monday providing a false sense of safety, but the curvy places were still wet. The Trollheim is truly strong with the Dark Side of the Force.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickBull View Post
    I'll start:
    Three accidents on the Trollheim. Two were approximately a decade ago, both making the initial left turn too fast for the wet wood.
    That was approximately what happened to me coming back from my volunteer shift at Tour de Fat this past May. It had been raining all day and was still coming down in buckets on my return home. I knew it was going to be slick to I checked my speed more than I usually do on Trollheim (I'm never very fast on planks) but I'm not sure if it was me checking for traffic coming down from Roosevelt or trying to give space to the jogger checking her phone, but the next thing I know I'm on my side at in the middle of the "zig-zag intersection" with the jogger asking if I was okay.

I was pretty scraped up and my leg was black and blue for a few weeks but nothing broken...

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

About two years ago. Went down at the curve. There was a small layer of frost. As soon as I picked myself up and moved on, two more cyclists went down right behind me at the same spot.

Yes, they can sprinkle sand, or even paint with grit already mixed into the paint. They put that stupid mold paint down already (which is pointless since it's not just about mold or algae), so why don't they just put some grit paint down? Easy, cheap and effective, and a great boon to safety.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post
    In the best Gary Johnson voice I can muster ...

"What is Trollheim?"

There's our Trollheim, and then there is theTrollheim:

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings...lheimen/11753/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    There's our Trollheim, and then there is the Trollheim:

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings...lheimen/11753/
    Looks beautiful, but I did not see any pictures of hazardous wooden bridges.

Post Thanks / Like

Default October 3, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I thought maybe this was the same guy I saw, but wrong location. So tally another Trollheim victim on Monday. This one was on the big curve under the first (as you go south) TR bridge overpass about 7:00 am. I did not see or hear him fall. He was on his feet inspecting his bike as I very slowly passed. His chartreuse shirt, across his right shoulder and right side of his chest, had picked up a lot of black slime (I assume) from the surface of the Trollheim. I asked if he was OK, and he said yes.
    I was one of the two who fell that day. Riding up towards the TR bridge when a jogger (after being alerted I was passing) turned out in front of me. Brakes and down I went on the slippery boardwalk. Bike was fine, me not so much, broken clavicle. As I was waiting for a pickup to the hospital, another rider went down in the same location and went to the same hospital. Don't know extent of his injuries but shoulder too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awalis View Post
    I was one of the two who fell that day. Riding up towards the TR bridge when a jogger (after being alerted I was passing) turned out in front of me. Brakes and down I went on the slippery boardwalk. Bike was fine, me not so much, broken clavicle. As I was waiting for a pickup to the hospital, another rider went down in the same location and went to the same hospital. Don't know extent of his injuries but shoulder too.
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you have healed and recovered fully. Trollheim is the worst. I basically crawl along if it is wet at all.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awalis View Post
    Maybe *every* time someone splats on the Trollheim (or any of the boardwalks on the MVT) he or she should send an email to NPS along with the details, esp if he or she went to the hospital. If they see reports every freakin' week, maybe it will get someone's attention and be given priority. Two people going to the hospital for the same injury on the same day is alarming!

I know when I told the Navy Yard of my splat on their property along the Anacostia Trail the Commander was notified along with a bunch of their lawyers (even though the base is indemnified). They followed up a few times to record all of the details and an announcement was made at the base's all hand's meeting that this had occurred, to be careful, and that the base was looking into ways to improve their section of the trail.

If their inbox fills up with splat reports....

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a great idea. I also like the idea of having a competition among schools (high schools and college) to some up with some sort of solution to this problem. Seems like somebody could make a decent $$$ if they can solve this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Maybe *every* time someone splats on the Trollheim (or any of the boardwalks on the MVT) he or she should send an email to NPS along with the details, esp if he or she went to the hospital. If they see reports every freakin' week, maybe it will get someone's attention and be given priority. Two people going to the hospital for the same injury on the same day is alarming!

If their inbox fills up with splat reports....
    What is needed then is a sign or two that says something like, "If you or someone you know has crashed on this boardwalk, please send the particulars to ______"

I wouldn't be surprised if NPS determined that the best solution to the problem would be to remove the signs. Vigilante sign maker anyone?