Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    I think this is a great idea. I also like the idea of having a competition among schools (high schools and college) to some up with some sort of solution to this problem. Seems like somebody could make a decent $$$ if they can solve this problem.
    You'd have to tell them up front that the solution to the problem can't be *don't make MUP bridges out of wooden planks.* Otherwise it's just too easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    What is needed then is a sign or two that says something like, "If you or someone you know has crashed on this boardwalk, please send the particulars to ______"

I wouldn't be surprised if NPS determined that the best solution to the problem would be to remove the signs. Vigilante sign maker anyone?
    Why don't we just sneak over in the middle of the night and apply anti-slip paint ourselves?

3. Likes Tim Kelley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Man Down

January 2016. Dry roads/trail, but some permafrost on the MVT as you exit Olde Towne Alexandria heading North. I made the first turn but the second gobbled me up and took me down. Injuries sustained, lots of road rash on the left side and a messed-up left shoulder (since mended with a metal plate and 5 screws due to another incident in December 2016, this one on the WOD along the Blinding Stretch along S. Four Mile Run Road). Bike was fine, so I dusted off the splinters and commuted to work in Arlington. Glad it was cold out or I'd still be picking splinters from my body!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a guy wipe out on trollheim this am- he passed me (reasonably) going south towards the TR bridge along the newly paved stretch of trail by the GW parkway; the only reason I remarked him was because of his kit and sneakers. Anyway, he made the left to continue along the MVT and went down at the turn. He seemed ok, more surprised than hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Documenting my recent crash on bridge #3 on the Mount Vernon Trail

Date: July 23, 2017
    Circumstances: headed northbound on the MVT moved to the left to get around a tree branch covering a portion of the bridge. Saw a southbound cyclist headed towards me, tried to brake and move right. Lost the edge on my tire and went down, fracturing a bone in my hip. The other rider was not hurt. More details here