Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Report your MVT wooden-bridge accident here. Date, location, circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for asking how I was Pete

2. Likes PeteD, Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Imagine if 50% of drivers who used the GWMP crashed at a particular location along the parkway. Think they would take action?
    Well, while clearly not 50% of the cars, they have not modified the area of the GWMP between boundary channel and Trollheim. It seems that about every three months there are tire tracks scraping up grass going down the hill from the GWMP to the trail and across it (and sometimes the whole car). So, my guess is that no, they will not always fix something, even for cars. If people regularly died due to such accidents, they might. I would prefer they fix such an area with lots of accidents before someone dies. (and that goes both for Trollheim and this region of the trail just south of it. I fear that one day such a car will take out someone on the trail).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Sorry for your misfortune Dewey. I truly detest Trollheim. There are folks here that have noted my ability to go out of my way to avoid it, especially on days like yesterday.

5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuke and pave.
    But seriously, not sure the bridge surfaces need to be permeable, let alone wood. Seems like more of an NPS affectation than something based on actual practical needs.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Well, while clearly not 50% of the cars, they have not modified the area of the GWMP between boundary channel and Trollheim. It seems that about every three months there are tire tracks scraping up grass going down the hill from the GWMP to the trail and across it (and sometimes the whole car). So, my guess is that no, they will not always fix something, even for cars. If people regularly died due to such accidents, they might. I would prefer they fix such an area with lots of accidents before someone dies. (and that goes both for Trollheim and this region of the trail just south of it. I fear that one day such a car will take out someone on the trail).
    I'm always aware of the tendency for drivers to lose it and go off the parkway when I ride just south of Trollheim, so I ride quickly and am ready to take (probably ineffective) evasive action. I think a guardrail would be a good idea here. But regarding the road design there, I don't think the road itself is the problem. Roads will always have curves. The problem is that people fly through there at well over the designed speed, even in wet weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I'm always aware of the tendency for drivers to lose it and go off the parkway when I ride just south of Trollheim, so I ride quickly and am ready to take (probably ineffective) evasive action. I think a guardrail would be a good idea here. But regarding the road design there, I don't think the road itself is the problem. Roads will always have curves. The problem is that people fly through there at well over the designed speed, even in wet weather.
    The speed limit is *supposed to be* 40mph. In reality, everyone is closer to 55.

I agree, I would feel safer with a barrier. Sad reality is that in the eyes of *some* in power, someone must die to justify the need.

Also, I have noted elsewhere that NPS is using alternatives to wood that maintain the "boardwalk look". Behold a walkway to Assateague: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_175318.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	18358
    Last edited by Starduster; 09-12-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Starduster View Post
    Also, I have noted elsewhere that NPS is using alternatives to wood that maintain the "boardwalk look". Behold a walkway to Assateague: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180719_175318.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	18358
    I don't think the issue is "looks", it's how much heavy equipment would be needed to install a more substantial trail. In your picture I'd guess the heavy equipment could have easily been positioned on the adjacent road in the wide open field/swamp.

The real issue is how much of our bike/ped infrastructure is dependent on nature trails, because they're the only spots left that haven't been completely overtaken by cars. It would be nice if we could just take back some of the car space instead of fighting over the nature trails.

11. Likes dasgeh, lordofthemark liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    The real issue is how much of our bike/ped infrastructure is dependent on nature trails, because they're the only spots left that haven't been completely overtaken by cars. It would be nice if we could just take back some of the car space instead of fighting over the nature trails.
    I've gotten a lot of traction with the argument, at least in Arlington, that we need better on street infrastructure in order to make the trails better.

Neighbor: I hate bikes passing me at top speed on the Custis
    Me: I know! Me too. And I hate biking on the Custis. If Arlington put a two-way protected bike lane on the north side of Lee Highway -- in what's currently the right-most westbound lane -- people on bikes would take that (it's less climbing), which would mean the Custis would be more pleasant.
    Neighbor: Gosh darn it, you're right! We should do that.

I've had similar conversations about Eads and the MVT, Wilson and the Bluemont Trail, Mason/FMR Drive and the W&OD.

Post Thanks / Like

Toasted my #capitalbikeshare #cabi helmet but saved my head when wiping out this afternoon, southbound on the dangerously slippery #mtvernontrail #Trollhiem boardwalk @ Roosevelt bridge turn off @npsgwmp @wabadc #bikedc #bikeva https://t.co/8JJyKQsEMR

Witnessed by @SteveO on our way to the Nats -Marlin game

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

14. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I wiped out there myself today @Dewey. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

16. Likes streetsmarts, Starduster, Dewey liked this post