Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using call click connect

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I used click call connect to report the midblock crosswalk on Braddock Rd in front of 7 Eleven. While the eastbound drivers (1 lane) are very good at stopping, the westbound drivers (2 lanes) are not. Later that day, I had a very nice conservation with Sgt Seckler's new deputy and they plan to send someone out to take a look.

2. Likes komorebi, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Oh and I used click call connect to report the midblock crosswalk on Braddock Rd in front of 7 Eleven.
    Thanks for taking the time to file a report about this crosswalk, and I'm glad to hear that the APD is interested in taking a look. I filed a report about the same crosswalk last year, and was disappointed by the noncommittal response I received from T&ES three months later. See below for details. Hopefully, with more reports filed, we can get the City to take this crosswalk more seriously.

My click.call.connect request, October 25, 2015:

Have you thought about installing a flashing beacon for the crosswalk that crosses Braddock Rd. at the southern end of the Potomac Ave. trail?

Last weekend, I saw a female jogger down on the ground in the crosswalk. I didn't see the cause, but based on the car that was stopped awkwardly next to her, the crowd of concerned onlookers gathered around her, and the sirens of the approaching EMS vehicles, she appeared to have been struck by a car. This was mid-afternoon on a clear day, so visibility shouldn't have been a problem.

More generally, I routinely ride across that crosswalk as part of my evening bike commute, and my experience is that the westbound cars never stop. (The curve of the road as it goes through the underpass probably makes it more difficult for drivers to see people who are waiting to cross.) I know that there are already signs to warn the oncoming drivers, but the signs don't seem to be enough.

Thanks.
    Response from T&ES, Jan. 21, 2016:

I am responding to your call-click-connect request submitted back in October. First off, let me apologize for the long overdue response. To answer your question, we did not consider a rapid flash beacon at this crosswalk. This location does not meet the required standards for the installation of such a signal. The main reason is the Potomac Yard Trail crossing is in such close proximity to the traffic signal at Mount Vernon Ave. and the rapid flash beacon just to the east on Braddock.

That being said, we certainly understand your concerns regarding pedestrian safety at this location. More and more people are using the Potomac Yard Trail, and safety at this intersection becomes even more critical with additional people crossing. We have removed one bollard at the trail entrance that had become an issue, and we are looking at other measures to improve safety at not only this location, but other trail access points throughout the city.

4. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to do a click call connect for this location again for APD and include that anecdote about the jogger.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I used click call connect to report the midblock crosswalk on Braddock Rd in front of 7 Eleven. While the eastbound drivers (1 lane) are very good at stopping, the westbound drivers (2 lanes) are not. Later that day, I had a very nice conservation with Sgt Seckler's new deputy and they plan to send someone out to take a look.
    I think a light would be super helpful there, and give a good warning from further back that someone is in the crosswalk. That intersection is VERY difficult to see from a car thanks to the curving road, the hill, signposts and the bridge blocking sight lines. As a driver, even going slow I've had some issues there where pedestrians have darted out, not realizing that in my car I can't see them until I'm pretty close.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to do a click call connect for this location again for APD and include that anecdote about the jogger.
    This.

I note a lot of people are discussing using Call Click Connect to contact T&ES. While that can definitely be worthwhile, my sense is that T&ES, while less than perfect, grasps the issues with multimodalism, and is not unduly influenced by folks who lack sympathy with bike riding.

My guess is that the folks who do lack such sympathy, are contacting APD (via Call Click Connect, via email, or by expressing their concerns to members of Council) not so much contacting T&ES. I only note that here.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on lordofthemark's note. APD seems impressed by volume of requests.