Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Thief left bike in alley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thief left bike in alley

We had a thief leave "his" bike in the alley beside our house and our neighbor found it this morning.

6:15 He rode up to our across-the-street neighbors' house, left the bike on the sidewalk, went into the back yard and
    6:19 stole their lawnmower, then
    6:20 walked the lawnmower down our alley,
    6:30 came back for the bike,
    6:31 walked the bike down the alley, then
    6:50 walked off with the lawnmower.

It's a new-looking 29'er mountain bike. I checked on BikeIndex and didn't see anything like it. MPD had the brand/make/serial number and will come back for it if it's reported stolen to them.
    Edit: Neighbor says it's a Genesis. Looked it up and it's Wal-mart's 29er, replacement value $150. We'll see if it gets reported.

Q) If it's stolen where should I look for the owner?
    Q) If it's the thief's bike would the moral thing to do give it to the neighbors across the street so they can sell it and buy another lawnmower? That's a pretty far stretch, the bike is almost certainly stolen.

Also, I ran across a very rough shape dep't store bike abandoned outside Arlington Cemetery, with a broken/wrapped rear der. It was there yesterday morning as well. It's abandoned but I'm not sure because that's because it's stolen or just because it's not worth much and is un-rideable.
    Last edited by mello yello; 09-16-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: more information

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thief left bike in alley

Try the dc stolen bikes facebook community. Give it a few weeks there and with mpd, then either offer the bike to your neighbor (not sure a bike like that has a huge resale value though), or donate it to a place like phoenix bikes maybe?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcstolenbikes/

Sucks about their lawnmower I didn't realize people just walked away with those too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We went to a police/community meeting and everyone was complaining about the property crimes & other stuff, and when we told our story, and someone else told theirs, we realized that the bike belonged to someone a few blocks over who had the lock cut off of the garage and made off with the bike and a lawnmower. We got it back to the rightful owner.

There's definitely a crew around here doing break-ins and stealing lawnmowers and other valuables... I had no idea there was a resale market for lawnmowers.