Likes Likes:  49
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/26/16 Cyclist Hit By Car

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8/26/16 Cyclist Hit By Car

8am-ish morning commute. HS student was riding his bike on the sidewalk on the north side of Washington Blvd, approaching George Mason Drive, headed in the direction of Glebe Rd. He was moving with the flow of traffic and had the green light to cross the intersection with traffic. As he rolled into the cross walk to ride through the intersection a station wagon headed south on George Mason Dr. rolled to the intersection and proceeded to make the turn to head west on Washington Blvd. The station wagon collided with the student, as car contacted front wheel. The kid was thrown from his bike, but he quickly got up, grabbed his bike and walked back to the corner. The station wagon made the turn and parked, the driver immediatly got out to assist.

I was moving toward the intersection on Washington Blvd, about to cross George Mason, headed in the direction of Glebe when the accident occured. As I had my eyes on traffic (I was in the left lane) I didn't see the actual contact of car on bike, only the kid sort of flying and then walking his bike. With no traffic coming the other way I whipped a u-turn to the other side of Washington Blvd., parked, and ran over to check on things. Another gent crossed from the Lacey Woods side of Washington as well. The kid was OK, other than a bit shaken, and having a cut on his hand. He had already called and was talking to his dad who advised calling police. The driver of the car stood quietly to the side. The other gent unhelpfully suggested tke kid was fine, and headed off from whence he originally came. I decided to stay until ACPD arrived. I flagged the officer down as he approached and he took over interviewing the kid, the driver (inspecting the car closer than the bike [front wheel damaged beyond ride-ability]). He interviewed me, but since I hadn't seen the actual accident unfold, I wasn't a good witness. He thanked me for staying and let me go. By this time the kid's father had arrived, thanked me for staying, and went to talk to the officer.

This could have been much worse, I think everyone was lucky. Glad the kid had a helmet on.

Post Thanks / Like

a station wagon headed south on George Mason Dr. rolled to the intersection and proceeded to make the turn to head west on Washington Blvd.
    Per google maps, the driver was making a right, and it sounds like the light would have been red for the driver.

Hence, it was a "rolling" right-on-red (i.e. driver didn't come to a complete stop), and then obviously didn't yield to a pedestrian in the intersection.

We'll see if the driver gets anything at all. I don't have much hope.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    Per google maps, the driver was making a right, and it sounds like the light would have been red for the driver.

Hence, it was a "rolling" right-on-red (i.e. driver didn't come to a complete stop), and then obviously didn't yield to a pedestrian in the intersection.

We'll see if the driver gets anything at all. I don't have much hope.
    Yes. Reminder to all to please order and read your free copy of "Surviving the Crash" by Bruce Deming, the bike lawyer. This will help you both if you are ever in a crash or if you come upon one. He recommends in a case like this to take photos, photos, photos and get the names and contact info from everyone, including the grumpy guy. And, of course, the victim, so that you can forward your photos and info.
    And then tell them to call Bruce.

I agree with Fairlington. This is a classic right-on-red violation. Even if the car did come to a complete stop (which may or may not be the case), the driver is still obligated to wait for any persons in the crosswalk before proceeding.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    I think everyone was lucky. Glad the kid had a helmet on.
    I don't think the kid was lucky at all. Lucky because some self-entitled driver didn't have the patience to come to a complete stop and take due care that no vulnerable road users might get crushed by his/her 3000-pound weapon? And, as Fairlington predicts, likely to not even get a favorable police report that might result in the driver's insurance buying him a new bike. Doesn't sound lucky to me.
    OTOH, the driver is likely to be the lucky one. A little scrape on the bumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I agree with Fairlington. This is a classic right-on-red violation. Even if the car did come to a complete stop (which may or may not be the case), the driver is still obligated to wait for any persons in the crosswalk before proceeding.

+1 on the book.
    Last edited by Mariner; 09-07-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: not relevant

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So that's three right-turn-into-path-of-cyclist-in-crosswalk crashes I've heard about just today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told as a kid that riding bicycles (at any speed) on sidewalks was dangerous. It seems that every year I see a Swanson student taken out while riding on the sidewalk of Washington Blvd at a driveway or street crossing. Sidewalks are designed with sight-lines appropriate for walking speeds. Tell your kids to ride in the street rather than the sidewalk. If the street is too busy, try an alternate route. If Washington Blvd is too stressful, try 16th Street, which has much less traffic.

(If the kid was on the sidewalk on the north side of Washington Blvd heading east, he was riding "against" traffic (not illegally). Imagine if you are a driver making a right on red. You are likely looking left to see if there is no oncoming westbound traffic. What is the likelihood of you seeing a fast moving person on a sidewalk coming from the right? (Since the kid went "flying," he likely was moving quickly.) It maybe doesn't matter whether you come to a complete stop or not. What part of the car hit the bike? If it were the back end, the car could very well have been astride the crosswalk before the cyclist even entered it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Let us just say for clarity that the kid lives on that side of the street within sight of the corner (as I learned after the accident). "Flying" is my wording, not necessarily 100% accurate. Everyone should keep in mind that I was focused on the cars and intersection in front of me, and it was the odd movement at the intersection that caught my attention. My next impression was of him "flying" as he "released" from his bike "into the air" and then stumbled with his bike to a stop. Lots of quotes to emphasize that words don't always describe the exact nature of the event. I am but a humble wordsmith trying to relate a tale for the purpose of relating a tale on our forum.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I was told as a kid that riding bicycles (at any speed) on sidewalks was dangerous. It seems that every year I see a Swanson student taken out while riding on the sidewalk of Washington Blvd at a driveway or street crossing. Sidewalks are designed with sight-lines appropriate for walking speeds. Tell your kids to ride in the street rather than the sidewalk. If the street is too busy, try an alternate route. If Washington Blvd is too stressful, try 16th Street, which has much less traffic.

(If the kid was on the sidewalk on the north side of Washington Blvd heading east, he was riding "against" traffic (not illegally). Imagine if you are a driver making a right on red. You are likely looking left to see if there is no oncoming westbound traffic. What is the likelihood of you seeing a fast moving person on a sidewalk coming from the right? (Since the kid went "flying," he likely was moving quickly.) It maybe doesn't matter whether you come to a complete stop or not. What part of the car hit the bike? If it were the back end, the car could very well have been astride the crosswalk before the cyclist even entered it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post

(If the kid were on the sidewalk on the north side of Washington Blvd heading east, he was riding "against" traffic (not illegally). Imagine if you are a driver making a right on red. You are likely looking left to see if there is no oncoming westbound traffic. What is the likelihood of you seeing a fast moving person on a sidewalk coming from the right? (Since the kid went "flying," he likely was moving quickly.) It maybe doesn't matter whether you come to a complete stop or not. What part of the car hit the bike? If it were the back end, the car could very well have been astride the crosswalk before the cyclist even entered it.)
    I agree with Dismal that this sort of thing happens due to the circumstances. And I agree that riding in the street (with traffic, of course) makes the person on the bike easier to see.
    This does not excuse in any way, though, the driver from not taking due care. If I imagine myself as someone making a right on red, as Dismal suggests, and I cannot be 100% certain I can safely make this turn, then I would wait.
    A person could just as easily been running on the sidewalk and just as easily been run down by this driver because he or she did not completely stop and make certain no one was proceeding along the sidewalk, very possibly with a walk signal. As a person using the sidewalk, whether on foot, bike or in a speedy wheelchair, if I have a walk signal I should feel safe to cross without having to yield to someone in a car because they want to turn across my right of way on a red light.
    If the driver were unable to ascertain that a fast-moving sidewalk user might enter the right of way before she could clear the crosswalk, then she should have waited for the green. There is no obligation to turn right on red.

Yes, this happens all the time, sadly. But what needs to change is not making the vulnerable road users cower before entitled car drivers. What needs to change is more places with No Right on Red and infrastructure that reduces and eliminates conflicts.

Post Thanks / Like

Here come the VCers blaming the kid for not being a confident VCer and taking the lane on Washington Blvd during rush hour. Nevermind the fact that it was the driver and the driver alone for hitting the kid. VCers have never found a situation that wasn't fixed by blaming the cyclist for taking the lane.