Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop sign enforcement in Old Town

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the art festival is coming up. I recall it was around the time of the festival last year that the police started cracking down on them law-breakin hooligan stop sign-runnin cyclists.

I might try Lee St. as an alternative to Union until the festival is over, unless I'm really feeling up for an adventure on Washington St.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see more frequent enforcement at Union and King throughout the year of egregious stop sign running. I see a cyclist do a full speed speed weaving through cars and pedestrians stop sign running nearly 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'd like to see more frequent enforcement at Union and King throughout the year of egregious stop sign running. I see a cyclist do a full speed speed weaving through cars and pedestrians stop sign running nearly 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with this. As a cyclist who respects this stop sign, I'm always astonished at how many folks blow right through it at high speed -- especially in the evenings and on busy weekends. Of course, as someone else mentioned in this thread, the times I've seen enforcement have been in the morning when the area's pretty empty. I'd hazard a guess that many of the folks getting popped are not the same folks being reckless on sunny weekend afternoons. Maybe I'm wrong. (Then again, as someone else also pointed out, it's not hard to see the cops in time to stop ... so maybe they are the same folks.) (Why am I saying folks so much?)

Post Thanks / Like

The Union/King St intersection seems so normal yet people completely loose their minds there. But that being said, the city did a study a few years ago which noted that most cyclists slowed down for the intersection anyways. https://www.alexandriava.gov/tes/inf....aspx?id=62680

APD's motors division has not been at full strength for a while so I am surprised to see they would waste time ticketing cyclists but then again, this summarizes their attitude towards bikes. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClCkkPEWEAAWoKd.jpg:large

Post Thanks / Like

As a citizen of Alexandria, it would be my preference that the City applied its traffic enforcement resources where they would get the most bang for the buck in terms of improved safety. My guess is that would be dealing with speeding and (motor vehicle) red light running and other dangerous behaviors, mostly in the western half of the City, more so than enforcement against cyclists in Old Town. That said, given that we cyclists are getting much that we want from the City, I am not inclined to make a fuss about stop sign enforcement in Old Town, though they really should focus it on really bad behavior, not people doing proper Idahos.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More enforcement across Alexandria

APD just kicked off a dedicated enforcement effort for at least 60 days targeting cyclists, pedestrians and drivers equally. They plan to reassess at 60 days and may extend it 30 more. According to the head of the motors unit, officers are looking to warn or ticket cyclists who do not slow down for stop signs. They are not looking for a complete stop with a foot down but do want to see cyclists slow down, yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk and cars entering the intersection or stopped first. APD does understand about clips and does not expect those cyclists to completely stop so long as they yield to pedestrians and cars with the right of way. Expect motorcycle officers along the Old Town/Union St corridor as well as Del Ray/Commonwealth corridor although they do want to cover the entire city.

On Monday morning, I saw one officer on sitting a motorcycle at E Del Ray Ave and Commonwealth. I slowed down with another cyclist for that stop sign and the officer did not move. A lot of the officers do not particularly like ticketing cyclists but if a cyclist is rude or defensive, they are more likely to write a ticket than a warning.

While I appreciate that APD appears to understand that nuance between a stop and complete stop, I am not sure targeting pedestrians, cyclists and drivers equally is the best policy, especially given that one group is the predominant cause of injuries and death. APD operates on a complaints driven model and the majority of an unknown number of complaints do eminent from the Union St corridor.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Equally?" Thanks. I needed a laugh this morning.

In the past I have been pulled over for rolling through a stop sign at 3 miles per hour (I was clipped in) and given a 5 minute lecture by an APD officer. It was at Union and King at a time when no one else was within 20 feet of the intersection. The APD officer's rant was totally obnoxious and unnecessary. Expect the same.

9. Likes sjclaeys liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    APD just kicked off a dedicated enforcement effort for at least 60 days targeting cyclists, pedestrians and drivers equally.
    Thanks for the update. While it's not where I would hope the police would be, this sounds like progress. A big thanks to all of those Alexandrians who have been working to increase the APD's understanding of cycling. Keep at it - you're making a difference!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    "Equally?" Thanks. I needed a laugh this morning.

In the past I have been pulled over for rolling through a stop sign at 3 miles per hour (I was clipped in) and given a 5 minute lecture by an APD officer. It was at Union and King at a time when no one else was within 20 feet of the intersection. The APD officer's rant was totally obnoxious and unnecessary. Expect the same.

My impression from the meeting was that while they would not insist on foot down stops, they would ticket cyclists doing what I consider " a proper Idaho stop". Not sure what speed they will accept - I would have thought they would have allowed 3MPH, which is walking speed, but I think it will be up to the individual officer. This impression (combined with some things said at the meeting by some OTCA folks) left me rather upset. After a couple of days to cool down, I do realize that we are making progress on infrastructure and on mode share in Alexandria, and the long game is grow cycling till we have enough riding citizens to change the dynamic. Meanwhile, I do encourage folks who have observed dangerous and/or illegal motorist behavior in places other than those targeted by this initiative, to report them using call click connect. Perhaps APD will find a need to use their resources in wiser ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    APD just kicked off a dedicated enforcement effort for at least 60 days targeting cyclists, pedestrians and drivers equally. They plan to reassess at 60 days and may extend it 30 more. According to the head of the motors unit, officers are looking to warn or ticket cyclists who do not slow down for stop signs. They are not looking for a complete stop with a foot down but do want to see cyclists slow down, yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk and cars entering the intersection or stopped first. APD does understand about clips and does not expect those cyclists to completely stop so long as they yield to pedestrians and cars with the right of way. Expect motorcycle officers along the Old Town/Union St corridor as well as Del Ray/Commonwealth corridor although they do want to cover the entire city.

On Monday morning, I saw one officer on sitting a motorcycle at E Del Ray Ave and Commonwealth. I slowed down with another cyclist for that stop sign and the officer did not move. A lot of the officers do not particularly like ticketing cyclists but if a cyclist is rude or defensive, they are more likely to write a ticket than a warning.

While I appreciate that APD appears to understand that nuance between a stop and complete stop, I am not sure targeting pedestrians, cyclists and drivers equally is the best policy, especially given that one group is the predominant cause of injuries and death. APD operates on a complaints driven model and the majority of an unknown number of complaints do eminent from the Union St corridor.
    I'm sure people will bitch, but if this what the APD adheres to it is actually quite reasonable.

13. Likes chris_s, huskerdont liked this post