Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Wanted For Winter Shoes and Gloves

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Suffering builds character. Just sayin...

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's true that sometimes suffering makes one stronger. But heat exhaustion or frostbite don't actually make one stronger or better able to withstand those conditions (quite the opposite). Everyone is different in their temperature comfort but electively under- (or over-) dressing is a badge of the novice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks for all the different viewpoints and suggestions. I know from my experiences last winter that I've got to improve both my footwear and glove choices for winter riding. I feel the need to do something extra to increase both hand and foot protection. The Moose Mitts look very interesting -- I love that they come in high visibility, reflective colors. For extended cold weather rides they should be helpful. The Lake shoes look both tough and heavy. The other thing about winter riding is that my nose runs like crazy and I look really silly if I forget to bring some Kleenex.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Let it flow. Unless your ill, it's mostly water. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my snotcicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    It's true that sometimes suffering makes one stronger. But heat exhaustion or frostbite don't actually make one stronger or better able to withstand those conditions (quite the opposite). Everyone is different in their temperature comfort but electively under- (or over-) dressing is a badge of the novice.
    Sadly character and strength aren't correlated and its possible to be a very experienced novice.

Post Thanks / Like

When (non-bicycling) people remark about my riding in the cold, I often make the comparison to skiing. If you think about your hands and body the way you would for skiing, that may be a helpful angle. In fact, I have snowboarding gloves as one of my winter options. OTOH, ski boots are a bit clumsier on the pedals.