Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anacostia River trail to Kenilworth Trail Bridge

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    I think the wavy sections are a traffic calming idea. There are some islands on the approaches to a bridge that require riders to slow down. (I rode it today too.) It's nearly done. They could have made it better but I don't see how. It's a gem.
    Yeah, the islands to the bridge seem a bit over the top but they do slow cyclists way down. I don't recall if that little bridge had wooden planks or not.

I'm thrilled I'll be able to get to MD without having to cut through downtown DC.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that local DOT's are mostly against bulb outs on roads (because safety guidelines) but don't see them as a problem on bike/ped routes.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have pics of the wavy sections that have islands?

I figure the wavy sections help highlight that it is a recreational trail for people to meander through and enjoy at their own pace as opposed to the other extreme which would be building only straight bridges for the shortest distance so people can go as far and fast as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I rode the ART from DC to a little over the MD border. It's fantastic! They are still working on the trail and some places could use a good sweeping but overall it's a blast to ride. I'm a bit puzzled at some of the wavy sections when it looks like they could have just gone straight but I'm not a civil engineer (good fun on a trike though). Also the boardwalks don't have wooden planks! Yay! Can't wait until it is complete. I presume it will connect to the extensive trail network on the MD side.
    You aren't referring to the "wavy section" of the second picture in post #6 of this thread, are you? I thought that was a problem with the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    You aren't referring to the "wavy section" of the second picture in post #6 of this thread, are you? I thought that was a problem with the picture.
    Ha! No that is just your typical blip in the space time continuum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

I figure the wavy sections help highlight that it is a recreational trail for people to meander through and enjoy at their own pace as opposed to the other extreme which would be building only straight bridges for the shortest distance so people can go as far and fast as possible.
    The wavy sections don't have islands. I'm thinking specifically of a section through the woods that is wavy like a snake when it looks like it could have been straight. Like Greenbelt said, I think it is a traffic calming measure. I suspect that was a good idea.

I think the traffic island to the little bridge was installed because one has to make a turn before hitting the bridge and the area is fairly small. It forces everyone to slow way down and stay in their lane. No wavy areas in this section.

I should have taken pics but I left late in the day and was concerned about getting home before it got too dark. Too bad the trail is opening up so late in the year; soon there will be snow and ice and I rather doubt it will be plowed.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Kennilworth Gardens spur. Hopefully next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

I rode through on Saturday and I agree. They've also included a lot of thoughtful landscaping with freshly planted native saplings along this section of the trail. This is the part of the trail that winds through Kenilworth Park, and I believe it links up with a nature trail from Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens (if I'm reading the map correctly).

I failed to take photos of this particular section, alas.

Over the course of several months, I've ridden the entire Anacostia Riverfront and Tributary Trail Network -- I'd estimate 70 to 80 miles now! -- so if it would be helpful, I can create a post with maps and photos. It's a tremendous asset to our region and I continue to be amazed at how much less use it gets than the overstressed W&OD. Please comment below if this would be useful.

And with the completion of this segment, hopefully it will encourage more bicycle commuters into the city from that portion of DC and PG county.

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

Liz, are there any sections of the Tributary Trail network that you don't recommend riding, say for safety or trail condition reasons?

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us in VA who haven't been to the Anacostia River Trail, what is the best way to get there? I have never biked to the waterfront before, although I do go to Hains Point. It isn't entirely clear on Google maps the best, i.e., safest way there - it looks broken into pieces until east of the Navy yard and I haven't a clue the best way to get there. It looks like a nice change to routes I do regularly (Rock Creek Park, Capital Crescent Trail, C&O canal, MVT, W&OD).

(Similarly, getting to the MBT).

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Take Maine Ave to M Street. M to 11th. Right on 11th Street bike lane over Anacostia River. Right on Good Hope at traffic light. ART is along the river at the T. Take a right and ride all the way to Bladensburg.

Once you cross the river in Bladensburg you can take a left and head toward Mt Rainier or a right. Right takes you upriver where you will see a split for the Northwest and Northeast Branch Trails. NW goes to College Park (and beyond). NE goes to Hyattsville (and beyond).

I find the old trails up near Bladensburg confusing but I ride them very infrequently. I suggest getting yourself a WABA DC bike map. Words and pix from yesterday's meander at the links below. (I rode to the trail via the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Not recommended unless you are a billy goat.)

https://rootchopper.wordpress.com/20...tia-bikeabout/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/rootch...57671016971123