Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmets for the wee ones

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Whatever's on the shelf at Costco every 3 years is not a bad guideline, actually. They all have to meet the same safety standards.

That being said, you might look at the Raskullz helmets. (I got the one for my granddaughter from Target, but Costco may well have them.) They come in various designs that appeal to children. My granddaughter's is the monkey one (picture below). Persuading her that she'd look like a monkey helped get her into it the first time. And after a couple of rides, she understood that helmets were a necessity for rides. I once put her in the trailer without one on, and she immediately screamed that she needed her helmet. (I was in fact going to put the helmet on before we started up, but thought it was okay to put her in there first, add helmet immediately afterward.)
    Thanks! I ended up getting a Laser B.O.B. "chick" from the Family Biking Facebook page, and it fits him pretty well. He's not old enough to be excited about looking like any type of animal yet... but those days are coming soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55-mk-he8120-1[1].jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	12394

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Since we're on the subject, it's killing me that I haven't been able to bike as much with our daughter. How young can you put them in the trailer? Is it 1 year old the regular cutoff? My one day riding last week made me realize I really need (well, want, but feel need is also accurate) to be back on my bike.
    (I'm not a trailer expert, but for seats...) The key is neck strength, which puts you anywhere between 6 months and a year+. A good test is to put the helmet on the kid as they sit and play. Does it seem like they are holding their head + helmet up without trouble? Great.

Best practice is to go first on a short ride, and lengthen from there. Some kids are ok for 10 minutes, but not 30. If you can get a front seat, even better, because you can see the kid and watch for head nodding that would indicate neck fatigue.

In the documentary Babies, they definitely put a younger kid in the trailer. I've also heard of people putting a car seat bucket (NO HELMET) in the trailer. I'm not a trailer expert, so YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for replies--helpful in figuring it out. Hmm, well the good thing for me is doc said she had a really strong neck at 4 month checkup. So maybe I'll wait a few months and buy a helmet to let her wear around inside some to see how she does. The plus side for me is that daycare dropoff is maybe only 1 mile from my house. But still, I want to err on the side of caution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I've also heard of people putting a car seat bucket (NO HELMET) in the trailer. I'm not a trailer expert, so YMMV.
    There are contoured inserts made for the bike trailers, but they all come with warnings (liability only? best practice?) that they are for stroller mode only.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	369316_sized_640x420.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	12397 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51UHvPZj78L._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	12398

That said, up to you. The kid is strapped in with a 5-point harness into a light, stiff roll cage... and if you use a sling/baby snuggler/ car seat adapter (haven't seen one) and pull the trailer behind the bike, don't also put a helmet on them!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, a fiend of mine was towing his kid in the snuggler insert from a pretty young age (4-6mos?). I know they advise against using those for the bike, but obviously you can use your judgement on the safety/risk. The harnesses are pretty impressive. And the upside to trailers in general is you don't take the kids down with you if you take a spill. I probably wouldn't have done that with my kids, even ignoring any risk factor, because I think it would have made the transition to helmets harder.