Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Walter Reed at King

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walter Reed at King

Last night I had the pleasure of riding from DC to Annandale to Arlington and I thought I would take the opportunity to note an intersection with “room for improvement”. I selected this intersection despite other worthy candidates because at the time I was there, there were 3 distinct riding parties of 5 individuals navigating this intersection – all experiencing something between frustration and terror. No doubt that others have noted this intersection before and that it is on a list for redevelopment to include a superb intersection sometime near 2030.

There is a path along Walter Reed. Most cyclists take the path because of the speed of the vehicles. If one is heading south on Walter Reed on the path, one would need to jump the curb and line up for the middle traffic lane, since there is no connection from the path to cross King Street. Instead, most cyclists just cross the road illegally from the right. Pedestrians are even more screwed.

At the least, maybe it should be clear that the path is ending at Walter Reed before the intersection with a cutout, which doesn’t help pedestrians. It would be nice to have the path continue to NoVA. I would suspect there would be a market for that. Thoughts? Corrections? Criticisms?
    Name:  wr3.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  19.9 KB
    Last edited by elbows; 08-05-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I commute through there (eastbound on Beauregard across King in the morning; westbound on Walter Reed across King in the afternoon) at least once per day (my afternoon commute options are more varied as I have more time for it). I rarely ride on the Lucky Run Trail adjacent to Walter Reed Dr, usually choosing to ride the sharrows from Arlington Mill Rd. When I approach the intersection, I stay in the right-most straight lane and leave space in front of me so that I can build up some momentum since it sits on a slope and drivers have only so much patience for a cyclist trying to accelerate uphill from a stopped position. Once I'm in the intersection, the road is much flatter so I can take the lane and use the sharrows.

Work has started on improvements to the intersection which will include adding the 4th crossing (yay), but I don't know when they will actually finish. Here's a thread discussing a lot of the recent developments around this intersection: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...ard-this-time)

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I ride there regularly up the hill on my commute home. On the trail, though last night I passed two riders taking the lane, so I probably need to reconsider taking the lane. Since I then head south on King ( in the lane occasionally, but more often on the sidewalk ) I cross Walter Reed in the crosswalk, then dismount to cross King (the curb there is not ADA compliant). I have followed the plans to redo the intersection, and attended one community meeting. IIRC it will be at least 2 years before the project is complete.