Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: King St Complete Streets Parking and Traffic Board meeting June 27

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default King St Complete Streets Parking and Traffic Board meeting June 27

    Hi all, on June 27, the King St Complete Streets project goes before the parking and traffic board for approval or disapproval. Via the City's AlexEngage forum, people overwhelmingly voted in favor of option 3. If you are interested in this project, please come and speak up for it at the Parking and Traffic Board meeting on Monday, June 27 at 7:30 P.M. at Alexandria City Hall, 301 King Street, 2nd Floor, Council Chambers. It also includes a rationalization of speed limts too, instead of 35mph>25mph>35mph>25mph, it simply makes it 25mph throughout the project, from Kenwood Ave to Janney's Ln.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Hi all, on June 27, the King St Complete Streets project goes before the parking and traffic board for approval or disapproval. Via the City's AlexEngage forum, people overwhelmingly voted in favor of option 3. If you are interested in this project, please come and speak up for it at the Parking and Traffic Board meeting on Monday, June 27 at 7:30 P.M. at Alexandria City Hall, 301 King Street, 2nd Floor, Council Chambers. It also includes a rationalization of speed limts too, instead of 35mph>25mph>35mph>25mph, it simply makes it 25mph throughout the project, from Kenwood Ave to Janney's Ln.
    Good news, after a 30+ people speaking, roughly 19 in favor, this project, passed the board by 4 to 3 vote! Expect some initial construction in July and bike lanes on King by August. The city wants to finish the project before school starts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Good news, after a 30+ people speaking, roughly 19 in favor, this project, passed the board by 4 to 3 vote! Expect some initial construction in July and bike lanes on King by August. The city wants to finish the project before school starts.
    If I correctly recall the earlier presentation, Option 3 is an excellent design for all modes of travel. What were the main arguments of the opponents?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    If I correctly recall the earlier presentation, Option 3 is an excellent design for all modes of travel. What were the main arguments of the opponents?
    It was kind of hard to pin down, mainly why change, traffic will move slower and congest, and push cars onto neighboring streets, it is an arterial road, no major bike or pedestrian crashes in 10 years, lived here 30+ years and don't like change, don't have trouble crossing the street, the traffic study is wrong, and other creative but misguided arguments.

    It is important to note that option 3 was strongly supported by local residents, 50+ people who live on/just off King St signed letters in support, and had support from older residents and younger ones with children. Their voices really made an impact on the board.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •