Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware of black locust branches. They have wicked thorns.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    My understanding is that it is VDOT who is responsible for maintaining the trail (although their official policy on snow clear is to do nothing). You should report the exact spot through the "Report A Problem" page here: https://my.vdot.virginia.gov/

Report back and let us know what you find out!
    I have actually had reasonably good success reporting things through the VDOT site. Better, in fact, than I do reporting problems to Arlington County.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    Tim,

Is an upstanding citizen going to get in trouble for helping with trail maintenance like we are discussing, if they so choose to take it on? I live on Washington Blvd. where they planted trees a few years ago along with new sidewalks, and some of those trees have branches overhanging the bike lane. I'd like to trim them for the commuters that use the lane if I am not going to get chewed for doing it.

JG

I've been copied on email conversations where a citizen has asked if they could clear some brush themselves for NPS. NPS said no.

In this case it's VDOT--my guess would be that they would say No if asked. But they probably wouldn't even notice if you just did it yourself.

What would The Enabler say?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    Is an upstanding citizen going to get in trouble for helping with trail maintenance like we are discussing, if they so choose to take it on? I live on Washington Blvd. where they planted trees a few years ago along with new sidewalks, and some of those trees have branches overhanging the bike lane. I'd like to trim them for the commuters that use the lane if I am not going to get chewed for doing it.
    Can you imagine the PR nightmare if they gave you shit for doing THEIR JOB because they can't be bothered? Be like Nike, Just Do It.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Enabler View Post
    Can you imagine the PR nightmare if they gave you shit for doing THEIR JOB because they can't be bothered? Be like Nike, Just Do It.
    Do it. But maintain plausible deniability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    I've been copied on email conversations where a citizen has asked if they could clear some brush themselves for NPS. NPS said no.
    Good thing I didn't email them first.

Kind of crappy by them though given some parts of the MVT have literal bushes growing halfway into the trail at curves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Good thing I didn't email them first.

Kind of crappy by them though given some parts of the MVT have literal bushes growing halfway into the trail at curves.
    They did go out a week later and cut them though. You should report it anyway.