Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of black locust branches. They have wicked thorns.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beware of black locust branches. They have wicked thorns.

The Fort Cass trail between Pershing and Iwo Jima has some overgrown branches encroaching into the trail. Mostly harmless mulberry, but some of it is black locust and black locust have large, wicked sharp thorns. Don't graze your shoulder or arm through low hanging branches like dummy over here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    The Fort Cass trail between Pershing and Iwo Jima has some overgrown branches encroaching into the trail. Mostly harmless mulberry, but some of it is black locust and black locust have large, wicked sharp thorns. Don't graze your shoulder or arm through low hanging branches like dummy over here.
    I finally had enough of the damn branches and ivy hanging onto MVT between the marina and Belle View Blvd. So out came the hedge clippers. You have no idea how many people say thanks. But pretty sure I'm doused in poison ivy and three big blisters. But still, worth it for no more damn close calls at little turns.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fort Cass trail between Pershing and Iwo Jima
    Is that the name of the trail? I'm thinking you are referencing the route 50 southside trail alongside Fort Myer. I didn't know it had a name. Or do you mean somewhere else?

So who is responsible for cutting it back? VDOT or Arlington?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    If it's VDOT they have a pretty solid policy of not maintaining trails

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Is that the name of the trail? I'm thinking you are referencing the route 50 southside trail alongside Fort Myer. I didn't know it had a name. Or do you mean somewhere else?

That's the one. Fort Cass at least as far as the silver historic marker along the trail.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you report that you were injured, they'll actually do something about it. Maybe write trails@arlingtonva.us too

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one. Fort Cass at least as far as the silver historic marker along the trail.
    That's the Arlington Blvd Trail. The section you're referring to was completed recently as part of a lot of work being done there over the years: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/proj...urthouse-road/

My understanding is that it is VDOT who is responsible for maintaining the trail (although their official policy on snow clear is to do nothing). You should report the exact spot through the "Report A Problem" page here: https://my.vdot.virginia.gov/

Report back and let us know what you find out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    If it's VDOT they have a pretty solid policy of not maintaining trails
    They are pretty good about this kind of stuff, at least here in Arlington, if you can get it in front of them. Otherwise, they have a small staff for the NoVa region so they aren't particularly proactive.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

Is an upstanding citizen going to get in trouble for helping with trail maintenance like we are discussing, if they so choose to take it on? I live on Washington Blvd. where they planted trees a few years ago along with new sidewalks, and some of those trees have branches overhanging the bike lane. I'd like to trim them for the commuters that use the lane if I am not going to get chewed for doing it.

JG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeGortex View Post
    Tim,

Is an upstanding citizen going to get in trouble for helping with trail maintenance like we are discussing, if they so choose to take it on? I live on Washington Blvd. where they planted trees a few years ago along with new sidewalks, and some of those trees have branches overhanging the bike lane. I'd like to trim them for the commuters that use the lane if I am not going to get chewed for doing it.

JG
    Golden rule: better to ask forgiveness than permission .

FWIW, the Park Police definitely drove by on GWMP while I was doing this at least twice and they didn't say a word. No idea how ArlCo would treat it. I'm sure they won't say they openly endorse it for liability reasons, but I suspect the unofficial answer on any enforcement is that it won't exist.