Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike Thefts from Downtown DC Garages

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I can say this now that I no longer have to ride to work, but for six of the seven years I was a daily bike commuter to Rosslyn, I never locked my bike up in our building's parking garage. The first year I did and left a U-lock on the rack, then one morning it was gone (the lock, not the rack, but the rack had been moved). The garage was available only to USG badged employees/contractors and weekdays had an armed Diplomatic Security uniformed guard checking ids. Never had anything but the lock disappear during those seven years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I can say this now that I no longer have to ride to work, but for six of the seven years I was a daily bike commuter to Rosslyn, I never locked my bike up in our building's parking garage. The first year I did and left a U-lock on the rack, then one morning it was gone (the lock, not the rack, but the rack had been moved). The garage was available only to USG badged employees/contractors and weekdays had an armed Diplomatic Security uniformed guard checking ids. Never had anything but the lock disappear during those seven years.
    For folks reading this who work in buildings with this level of security, your bike is probably safe. If you park in a garage with the usual affable but ineffectual Colonial attendants, I continue to maintain you need to take more drastic steps.

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I'd go with a two-lock method, one with a hefty cable. The goal is not to make it impossible, just more bother than they want to deal with.
    When I had my bike stolen many years ago, the police recommended this method. They said most bike thieves bring tools to defeat one type of lock, but not two. So having two different types of locks is more effective than having two U-locks, for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    For folks reading this who work in buildings with this level of security, your bike is probably safe. If you park in a garage with the usual affable but ineffectual Colonial attendants, I continue to maintain you need to take more drastic steps.

Liz
    We've had the same regular attendants in my garage for a couple of years now. Once or twice a year I ride up to them with my bike in hand, tip them $10 or $20, and thank them for having taken such good care of my bike. Maybe I'll bring them something my wife baked. Stuff like that.

It might not help at all, maybe it helps a little, maybe a lot. But who knows. They likely know me and my bike better than the next guy. Every little bit counts.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.popville.com/2016/06/like...h-warm-butter/

Tuesday night at least 4 bikes were stolen out of a locked bike storage inside our “secure” garage [in Shaw]. The bike storage area requires an electronic resident key to enter (as does the garage and elevator), so the thief either lives in our building or was working with another resident. They also used a pretty heavy duty tool because all the u-locks on the ground had a smooth cut. Police and building management are involved now.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    [COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]They also used a pretty heavy duty tool because all the u-locks on the ground had a smooth cut.[/COLOR]
    pic looks like they used an angle grinder. Can be had for under $150 and takes care of most U-locks in under a minute.

Here's how easy it was for me, and I'm not a professional. (two minutes)
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...150#post102150

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the head's up. Wowsie. Nowhere is safe. I'll continue storing my bike in my bedroom then...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Thanks for the head's up. Wowsie. Nowhere is safe. I'll continue storing my bike in my bedroom then...
    Me too. :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious who isn't locking up in parking garages? The one I park in has police guards and I still lock up. Thieves are bold, sometimes stupid, and always determined.

Post Thanks / Like

In my nondescript, non-policed parking garage in Tysons, there are three bikes. My bike is locked up with a u-lock through the frame. The Giant mountain bike has a u-lock through the front wheel and the third bike (a schwinn?) is not locked up at all.