Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount Vernon Trail near DCA - Mulch Detours for June 2-3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    I sent a note to the NPS this morning about the early closing and the condition of the detour. Here is the response
    I'm glad you said something. What's the point of announcing hours if they won't keep to them? I understand people wanting to build good will, but I'm in the we're paying for it therefore there should be some semblance of order to it. Now, I will remove any complaint if they remove that awkward bumpiness on the new pavement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    I disagree, safety issues and failure to follow established procedures should be reported. I find that politely reportinga these types of issues are generally well received and help to ensure that a problem is addressed before somebody is seriously injured.
    Respectfully, people deal with inconveniences in their commute everyday. I think the NPS employees have better things to do with their time then have having to address cyclists or other commuters whining about trivial inconveniences. So a detour opened early - why is that a big deal? Everything was clearly and NPS did provide notice ahead of time the detour was coming.

This reminds of winter when people whine incessantly about other people's lights.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I appreciate the work that NPS does for trail users.

However, NPS did say that work would be done from 9 AM-3 PM. It is reasonable for trail users to expect them and any other involved federal agencies, contractors, etc. to stick to the announced schedule, and to let NPS know when the schedule is not followed as announced.
    Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-02-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was absolutely sure they would leave the stretch closed through the night, but by 5ish or whenever Andrea and I rode through, it was open, no detour! Nice work! Hope they finish the second stretch tomorrow as planned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    I was absolutely sure they would leave the stretch closed through the night, but by 5ish or whenever Andrea and I rode through, it was open, no detour! Nice work! Hope they finish the second stretch tomorrow as planned.
    Now I really wish I could have counted on construction sticking to the published schedule. Then I could have avoided the bus parked in the bike lane on South Clark Street today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC Bike Lane.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	11884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC Bike Lane 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	11883  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Now I really wish I could have counted on construction sticking to the published schedule. Then I could have avoided the bus parked in the bike lane on South Clark Street today.
    Wait a minute... that's not just a narrow parking lane? All this time I was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

No more work going on by the time I rolled by after 6 pm, so perhaps they kept the afternoon part of the schedule at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

It is soooo smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images