Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Vernon Trail near DCA - Mulch Detours for June 2-3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mount Vernon Trail near DCA - Mulch Detours for June 2-3

Received the following info from our friends at NPS:
    "On Thursday, June 2 and Friday, June 3, 2016 the Mount Vernon Trail (MVT) in the vicinity of Ronald Reagan National Airport will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. During these times all trail users will be detoured into the mulch path. This detour will allow contractors to complete the stone wall that provides a safety barrier between the Parkway and the MVT. If not completed by 3 p.m. on Friday the trail will close again Monday, June 6 from 9 a.m to 3 p.m.

The final paving of this section of the trail is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, June 7. This paving requires a total, 2 day closure of the MVT. Paving is weather dependent. This paving will complete the MVT trail portion of this project. As more information is available it will be shared."

BA will share out info as we receive it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    "On Thursday, June 2 and Friday, June 3, 2016 the Mount Vernon Trail (MVT) in the vicinity of Ronald Reagan National Airport will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. During these times all trail users will be detoured into the mulch path. This detour will allow contractors to complete the stone wall that provides a safety barrier between the Parkway and the MVT. If not completed by 3 p.m. on Friday the trail will close again Monday, June 6 from 9 a.m to 3 p.m.

The final paving of this section of the trail is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, June 7. This paving requires a total, 2 day closure of the MVT. Paving is weather dependent. This paving will complete the MVT trail portion of this project. As more information is available it will be shared."

BA will share out info as we receive it.
    By 9am, they really meant anytime this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

At least as of this morning, it looks like southbound riders will get to work on their bunny-hop skills when you get back on the trail from the detour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Haha, yeah, I went by at about 7 thinking I'd be fine and it was very closed. The detour is pretty minimal anyways though. Navigating people disconcerted by hills and curbs is the hard part.
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 06-02-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is just easier to take the Crystal City connector trail to Crystal city and hop back on the MVT via 4 Mile Run (when going southbound). I will just avoid the area completely until it's all done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Potter View Post
    With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Sorry, couldn't resist - after this morning's obvious miscommunication involving NPS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    I sent a note to the NPS this morning about the early closing and the condition of the detour. Here is the response

I'll forward your comments to the NPS project manager. I'll be sure to touch base with him to try to address these issues. We'll have to coordinate with Federal Highway and the contractor too.

I'm sure added mulch shouldn't be a problem. We'll see if we can address the narrowness too.

Not following posted hours is unacceptable. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    It really is just easier to take the Crystal City connector trail to Crystal city and hop back on the MVT via 4 Mile Run (when going southbound). I will just avoid the area completely until it's all done.
    See you Behind the Buildings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    I sent a note to the NPS this morning about the early closing and the condition of the detour. Here is the response
    I was on it this morning and didn't see anything worth complaining about, especialy if we are trying to build goodwill with the NPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFC View Post
    I was on it this morning and didn't see anything worth complaining about, especialy if we are trying to build goodwill with the NPS.
    I disagree, safety issues and failure to follow established procedures should be reported. I find that politely reportinga these types of issues are generally well received and help to ensure that a problem is addressed before somebody is seriously injured.