Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting accross the river

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting accross the river

Hello, I'm ARL2DC and am new to the forum.

Does anyone in the commuter group have a link to a more detailed map (even with photos) than the Bike Arlington map? I am trying to find out about how to get across the 14th street bridge or the 395 bridge by bike? I want to commute by bike from ARL to DC (near Metro Center) while all the Metro track work is being done. When I drive in I can see people riding along the side of the bridge, but cannot find the "on ramp" to the pedestrian/bike lane on the Virginia side of the 14th Street Bridge.

I suppose in theory I could reverse engineer an answer to this question by getting on at the DC side and seeing where it ended, but I thought this was the group to ask first. Thanks!

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The only connection is from the Mount Vernon Trail. Say your starting location and you will get lots of suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

In Arlington, the easiest connections (from south to north) to the Mount Vernon Trail are at Glebe and Eads (which gets you on the Four Mile Run Trail about a half mile west of the MVT, the Crystal City Waterpark at 18th and Crystal Drive, Boundary Channel Drive through the Columbia Island Marina, Memorial Drive (which forces you to use a crosswalk across the GW Parkway), and Lynn and Lee in Rosslyn (which takes you to the head of the MVT at Roosevelt Island).

There are others that connect to other trails that get you to the MVT but this should get you started

Google Earth and Google Maps are great resources

Post Thanks / Like

I work near metro center too and while I usually take the Roosevelt bridge, I'd be happy to show you the ramp to/from 14th Street down to the MVT. I had to follow someone a few times before I learned the way. It's not hard to find but it will make your first few bike commutes that much less stressful.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of bike commuting Arl2DC. Bike commuting is easily the best decision I have made in my life. In addition to the great advice above I would also recommend doing a test run to work on the weekend to help figure out your route and removes the pressure about being late to work if you get lost or disoriented.

There are lots of daily commuters on the forum. Let us know if you have any other questions about gear, routes, or showing up not smelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who replied - these are hugely helpful - next challenge will be the endless rain! :>)

Post Thanks / Like

I second trying out your route over the weekend, but do keep in mind that traffic on a road may seem perfectly fine on Saturday or Sunday, but be a very different experience during the week.

North Capitol St NW during a sleepy Sunday morning was quite benign, but the next morning I quickly experienced a different reality.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Then again sometimes on Saturdays and Sundays you get more out of town drivers who are less familiar with the roads and traffic patterns and you have to watch out for unexpected maneuvers.
    Last edited by consularrider; 05-22-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Have I mentioned I hate, hate, hate the current L St "protected" bike lane?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be willing to show you on an upcoming commute. I'm Ballston to Southwest Waterfront via 14th Street Bridge. If I'm not near you, if you posted where you were starting from, I'm sure you'd find someone willing to just show you.

Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arl2DC View Post
    Thank you to everyone who replied - these are hugely helpful - next challenge will be the endless rain! :>)
    There's no such thing as bad weather... just bad gear. After you get a taste of how great it is to ride to work, you'll start acquiring the stuff you need to remain mostly comfortable in any type of weather. (Although I'd love for it to stop raining too.)