Likes Likes:  280
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  17
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I started a Google+ collection to track the project progress, which works better than this general-purpose forum thread. https://plus.google.com/collection/cGcPLE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Little wheels!

These are a set of 359-ETRTO wheels (aka the folding bike "16-inch" size). I'm going to use these first on the 20" bike and transition to the 406 etrto (BMX 20") a little later.
    Every now and then an idea that seems clever at the time turns out to be really dumb. This is an example.

The idea of using 359-ETRTO tires made sense as an in-between step for the 20" bike. HOWEVER, I should have done a little measuring and a little more research on tire availability. The largest affordable tires were the Comets and they are still only like 32mm. This has the bike riding *way* too low -- the crankarms/pedals would be very close to the ground just riding in a straight line, not to mention turning ...

I rather doubt anyone out there is thinking right now "if only I had some disc-brake, 130QR, 359 wheels", so I'll figure out something else to do with the parts. Too bad about the gold spokes .... ! Lesson learned: when you're going rogue, you might want to consider compatibility with all of the frame's dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Every now and then an idea that seems clever at the time turns out to be really dumb. This is an example.

The idea of using 359-ETRTO tires made sense as an in-between step for the 20" bike. HOWEVER, I should have done a little measuring and a little more research on tire availability. The largest affordable tires were the Comets and they are still only like 32mm. This has the bike riding *way* too low -- the crankarms/pedals would be very close to the ground just riding in a straight line, not to mention turning ...

I rather doubt anyone out there is thinking right now "if only I had some disc-brake, 130QR, 359 wheels", so I'll figure out something else to do with the parts. Too bad about the gold spokes .... ! Lesson learned: when you're going rogue, you might want to consider compatibility with all of the frame's dimensions.
    Metal frames are not cast in stone. They can be modified. Dropout to yoke distance can be changed, rear dropouts can almost magically move a bit away from the BB and more. Seat tubes can become shorter and lift BBs up too. I know a guy....

Post Thanks / Like

Metal frames are not cast in stone. They can be modified. Dropout to yoke distance can be changed, rear dropouts can almost magically move a bit away from the BB and more. Seat tubes can become shorter and lift BBs up too. I know a guy....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    Ha -- It's ok. I don't think I could have my "16-inch" 359 cake and my 20" 406 cake coo! With the 20" wheels, it works great. Given that this frame is larger than the hand-me-down he's using now, I've decided to wait until his birthday at the end of summer to give it to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Asking for a friend: does "this guy" have experience in titanium?

Post Thanks / Like

He does. But.... He does not work on Ti bikes. Ti is a love / hate metal for me. I love to work with it on some things but not bikes as I need to be able to sleep at night. It is not hard to weld with the right equipment and methods. Without it is unpossible. Ti likes to crack through threads and in other places without easily identifiable reason at the home shop level. Ti is more prone to grain issues and you simply can't "see" the grain and draw of the tubing or castings. Ti has a bit of "I am pretty" mean alloyed into it. It will crack just because. "Oh, I am you fave frame and you waited for 14 months to get me? You just check out my BB in 13 months...."

Post Thanks / Like

Metal frames are not cast in resin.
    ftfy

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

HEY! Leave my HVAC repair man - I mean VICEGRIP alone! He is about to climb up on what I am promising him is a very very quite possibly stable roof of the dog shelter and attempt to juice the HVAC.

What could possibly go wrong??

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I have already done early recon on the roof. Drains and scuppers full of tree trash. Dear Daughter and a rake to the rescue for that issue.

A quick no tools look.... RTU #2 has pulled main fuses (bad but not unexpected) and RTU #1 looking as promising as expect as a 1995 vintage RTU to be. On the good side both units are 2 compressor systems and I hope to salvage at least 2 of the 4. Even if the control systems are shot if any of the compressor loops are good and I can get the air handlers up the rest can be rewired with a simple analog setup. What do you want guess the air filters look like? I bet we can knit a dog from each filter.

Stella says. "Nice thread hijack! Back to bikes please.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sofa.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	17860"
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.